How can I get my 21 month old daughter to be in a better mood when she wakes up from her naps?

My daughter is usually pretty happy when she wakes up in the morning, however, after her naps is another story. She is usually pretty miserable for a good hour after she gets up. It doesn't matter if she slept an hour or two hours, she is always cranky and crying. I'll let her fuss a little in case she needs more sleep but usually this just makes matters worse. Just curious if anybody else out there has this same issue and if anyone has some tips? She pretty much has always been this way after her naps! I spend at least a good hour trying to make her happy again!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I like to rock and hold my babies until their sleepy eyes wake up a bit.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I let mine cry until she is done...I tell her that when she is done, she can come out and I will be waiting for her. Once she is done crying, she is in a generally good mood for the rest of the day. As long as she is not hurting, there is nothing wrong with letting her cry.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• yes my little girl is this way.. with mine she doesn't want hugs & to be rocked, but left alone. every child is different try to hold her, hugs and if that don't work leave her alone. also i use distraction i offer a snack, a drink, a toy, and/or a cartoon this usually works to.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I agree with Maiahlynn, my daughter is the same way. I usually give her something to put her in a better mood
    bella021

Answer by bella021 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Try cutting her naps to 45 minutes (and give her two naps instead of one) - it worked for my youngest one when he was about 15 months. It's worth a try. Otherwise you may just have to get used to a cranky one when waking from naps.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Ok.... My son was a BEAR for up to 2 hours after his naps ( also in the morning ) no calming or rocking or loving made him better. Sometimes wisking him away would help to keep his mind off being crabby but you can only be creative for so long. Finally after 4 months I had ENOUGH. It was everyday and every morning. I was DONE. I starting picking him up while he was whining and told him you can come out when you are done whining, whining is icky. and i'd walk away and seriously, it took like 3 days of doing this and they disappeared. We ALL used to dread max's moods after his naps. he's like a new kid now. I basically just stopped putting up with it and had to get tough with him.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2009