How long can I leave steak in the fridge? It's been 10 days and the meat is still red

Every spring I get my beef from a farmer and it gets frozen the same day he cuts the meat.
So 10 days ago I took out T-bone steaks and I was wondering if they are still good.
It is still red and doesn't stink.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I don't leave meat in the fridge longer than 3-4 days that's just me. But bacteria grows so fast on it. I freeze it then take it out when I'm ready to cook it. Left overs 3 days then gone if not eaten. I'm just super careful with meats. Hope I helped
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 1:00 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• No. Generally raw meat is only good for 5-6 days in the fridge and that's being generous. I usually only keep mine in there for no more than 3 days.
    Anonymous

• three days tops for me too
    two days usually is my limit
    I would not be eating any raw unfrozen meat kept in frig for ten days
    I would be wary of even giving it to my dog, and she will eat anything
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I used to work with a dietitian. She said three days maximum.

Answer by Bmat at 1:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• hasn't anybody heard of dry aged meat?? I hung a deer for 3 weeks. just as long as it is dry, not slimy or stinky and kept cold you are fine. Not good for ground meat.
    http://www.askthemeatman.com/dry_aging_beef_info.htm
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:36 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I know people that have cooked beef even after it starts to turn a little darker in color and have been just fine........ as long as it isnt stinking up the fridge, it sounds like it is probably fine, you can tell when beef goes bad, it stinks and turns greenish in color. Since it was fresh from a farm it isnt polluted with all the other crap that gets put into meat, so I would say it is just fine. ( if it starts to smell when you start cooking it, then no, dont eat it, but I'd bet its fine, since you say it is still red and not stinking)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 2:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I bet it was still frozen the first couple days in the fridge. I can never thaw meat in the fridge cause it takes 4ever! prob y it is still freash and red.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I have heard of dry aged meat but a fridge is NOT the same conditions. Dry aging is done under strict temp and humidity guidelines. Not the same thing at all. I hope you're not an actual chef with that kind of advice!

Anonymous

• When I am wondering about something- whether it is still good? I toss it. I figure that I'd wonder while I was eating it, and I'd wonder for a couple days if this is the day I'd get sick from it- or if my family would get sick. When in doubt, throw it out. It isn't fun to do, but then you don't need to wonder and worry.

Answer by Bmat at 3:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• DO NOT EAT THIS MEAT!!! You will make your family and yourself sick. You should keep beef in the refrigerator no more than 3 days before cooking it.
    bocamom62

Answer by bocamom62 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2009