potty training?

my 14.5 mo old is starting to tell me "poop" or "butt" when she is dirty or wet. not all the time ofcourse, and still very wet through night. however, i want to encourage this without pressuring her too early. any ideas on how to go about this early potty awareness?

napgiver

Asked by napgiver at 1:16 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As soon as she tells you she is wet or dirty, get her diaper off fast and put her on the potty. As you do it, tell her she is supposed to do that on the potty, not in her diaper. Praise her for noticing she is wet!! Eventually she will only go a little bit in the diaper, realize she is going, and finish it in the toilet. Then she will start telling you before she goes. It may take a while, but I have started potty training as early as 9 months! They may not master it so young, but they have all done really well and that means a TON less diapers!!! Night time is another issue. None of my kids are dry through the night yet. (My oldest is 3).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• my son started telling me pee or poop when he was about 18 months. I bought him a potty chair and set it in the bathroom. i explained to him (in a short way) what it was for. I also took him to the bathroom with me when i went & sat him on his potty (hubby was deployed). of course, i never made him sit on it if he didnt want to but he knew what it was for at least. he did use it a few times. my main advice is not to push her too hard. all kids are different & grasp the concept on their own timeline.
    riceswife

Answer by riceswife at 6:38 PM on Oct. 6, 2009