As a follow-up to my question about not being able to pump very much...

So I was SO glad to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't seem to get much when they pump - my question now is when I do get SOMETHING (usually 2-3oz) is that not enough for a bottle? I mean, I have a few frozen servings of 2-3 oz for back-up and plan to pump a few more to leave for my friend who's watching my dd when we go to a wedding on Saturday...she's 4 months old, do you think these little servings will be enough for her? Should I tell my friend to double up? How can I really know how much she's eating when I b/f her?
Thanks!!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can pump and freeze and then add more to top it off later. It will also stay good in the fridge for up to 6 days until you freeze it. You will probably need to leave 2x the amount you pump and be prepared to leave formula just in case
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• They say an oz per hour, my son eats 4 oz. after 2 hours -- he is 7 months old and also eats solids, though! When he was 4 months he ate 3 oz. How often does she eat? If she eats every 2 hours, then 3 oz should be enough for one bottle, but I'd tell your friend to start out with the 2-3 oz and if she still acts hungry to go get another one and feed it to her, but I wouldn't double them up from the get-go or it is a waste. Why don't you try feeding her a bottle (if she'll take it from you) and see how much she eats so you know?

How long are you going to be gone? You said you have a few in the freezer and will pump a few more, but I assume your daughter will possibly eat more than a few 2-3oz servings in, say, a day. I'd pump as much as possible... Do it after she goes to bed and on the opposite breast from the one you're feeding her on in the morning and you should have plenty by Saturday. :)
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:45 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Also keep in mind 4 months is growth spurt prime time, when my son is going through growth spurts he nurses a ton more and when his daddy watches him he'd eat and ate twice as much milk.. He sometimes would take 6 oz and now he just got over a growth spurt and took a few 8 oz bottles! lol
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:57 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• 2-3 ounces is a HUGE amoutn! Who has you believing otherwise?

NORMAL PUMP OUTPUT is one half ounce to two ounces. 2-3 ounces IS a serving. You NEVER need a huge bottle. Never. Baby needs one ounce per hour of separation.

At the breast baby may take half an ounce one feeding, three ounces the next, two ounces the one after that. It will vary. So be unafraid to vary serving sizes. A pumping session IS a serving, just for ease.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:48 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I find my child actually eats less than I pump when I'm away most of the time. Some feedings (especially when you're away) your baby may only eat 1 ounce and at others they may eat 4 ounces. Sounds like you should be fine in terms of supply.
    reux

Answer by reux at 5:02 PM on Oct. 6, 2009