how much sleep do you need to help you lose weight?

ive been working out everyday for an hour for the past 3 weeks, and im still the same weight! and ive been cutting back on the sweets, and i havent had rice AT ALL and VERY little bread here and there. i drink a crap load of water, and nothing else. i eat 6 small meals a day to help my metabolism keep up. im a mom to 2 kids, i get atleast 6 hours of sleep a night, sometimes 8. i look slightly different in my clothes, but im still 186 pounds! and im 5'4. i want to get down to 140. and im almost getting fed up with it, whats going on? am i not getting enough sleep? i thought 6 hours was ok? does it make that much of a difference?
i need help with this, im so determined to this the right way, but its exhausting to see me still at 186. =/

i do alot of cardio btw...and strength training, mostly kick boxing and dancing...i take vitamins... my last meal is before 7, and i sleep at 10, sometimes 11.... i dont know what im doing w

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I read 8 hrs of sleep was needed.
    I also recently read an article about a natural sleep aid called Cortisol Manager. It's meant to help you get better sleep and fight belly fat. http://www.naturalhealthyconcepts.com/cortisol-manager-IT30-p-integrative-therapeutics.html
    I agree that you should check your inches and track your weight loss that way.
    Muscle weighs more than fat but is more dense, so you could go down a clothing size and still weigh the same. Muscle burns more calories than fat too, so I think you are on the right track.
    It would be interesting to know how many calories you are consuming a day. It may not be enough. You may also need a natural supplement as sometimes our bodies get stuck.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• *wrong
    Anonymous

• You might not be consuming enough calories. When I was breastfeeding my daughter I hit a weight where I just couldn't seem to loose any more weight. I joined Jenny Craig and it ended up that my body was in starvation mode because I was getting too much activity, losing too many calories to breastfeeding and wasn't eating enough. I actually increased my calorie intake by about 400 calories a day and then I started dropping weight. You might want to sit down with a nutritionist or a professional to help you figure out what you're doing wrong. I never would have imagined that I needed to eat more to lose the weight!!! (Of course, when I stopped breastfeeding, I had to seriously reduce my calorie intake!)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• are u on birthcontrol what kind?
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• no, no birth control, no medication, no diet pills...=/
    i was hoping to do this the right way so i dont screw myself over lol
    Anonymous

• thanks angie, i def need to look into that
    Anonymous

• I'm in the same boat. I do cardio daily and strength-train at least every other day. However, I am insomniac, so sometimes it is hard to determine when my day ends or begins. Some days I can only get 3 hours of sleep, if at all. I know it screws me up badly. On my more active days, I try to get 1,300-1,400 calories. www.sparkpeople.com might help you to figure out how much you are taking in versus putting out. I do know that getting 8 hours sleep helps a lot! I function best when I get 8-9 hours of sleep with the help of strong sleeping aid.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 9:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Most women will lose inches before they lose weight. Have you measured your self lately. Keep track of those dropped inches.

And you may not be getting in enough healthy calories.

I suggest that you get at least 8 hours nightly
    Anne518

Answer by Anne518 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• thank you everyone.

im not sure how many calories i take in, i just do 6 small meals a day and work out an hour and a half to 2 hours a day. i have noticed my clothes are much loose.

thank you all
    Anonymous