your experience

when you introduced solids....what was a "normal" feeding day like??? amounts, how often, in what oredr, etc. I seem to be confused.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When you FIRST introduce solids, most babies take a while to learn how to eat them. The sucking movement of the tongue forces food back out of the mouth. All my kids only took a couple of bites at first. I started with cereal or mashed banana. Once they figure out how to swallow and keep the food in their mouth, I fed them as much as they wanted! That varied from 1/4 cup to 1 cup off food depending on my child, and their appetite that day. I also didn't follow any guidelines as far as one food at a time. We have no allergies to food in our family so I wasn't concerned. My kids also ate table food within the first month of eating solids - that meant spices, herbs, and all kinds of combinations. My kids are all good eaters.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Oh, I thought of something to add! Every flavor is new to them and they would make the most disgusted faces and spit different food out. I just kept offering a few bites every single time they ate and eventually they grew accustomed to the taste. My daughter is the only one that still won't eat some things. She doesn't care for much fruit!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• we started our little guy at 5 months and we started him on avacado because its packed with great nutrional value and easy to digest. we gave it to him once a day for the first two weeks nothing new for two weeks. iv heard you can give a new food every 3 to 4 days but our said to wait two weeks between foods so that they can get used to digesting new foods. we just now started him on squash so he eats avacado in the morning and squash at night hes now almost 6 months.
    Anonymous

• When I first introduced solids is was baby cereal and she didn't take much A couple spoonfuls really. It took about a week for her to get into it. Then when we started stage one foods, she would eat almost the whole jar if not all of it. I gave her some at lunch and dinner and she had cereal at breakfast. We started with the veggies, one at a time with her eat just one type for 3 days. then went on to fruits and did the same thing.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• We started with cereal at supper. (the whole "family dinner" thing LOL) When we added baby food, then cereal was moved to breakfast (oh, amount...as much as they would take at a meal) and the baby food added at supper.

Once he was cleared on one kind of baby food, we added a new food at lunch.

We started with 1/2 a stage 2 size jar and as they were ready, they got the whole jar.

Don't really worry about amounts at first. It's just for practice not for nutrition. When you start offering table foods later, that's when you figure in the nutrition aspect of the meals. Until then, you give enough so they get a good taste but not so much that their formula or breast milk intake drops.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:48 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• You know, my baby didn't eat much at all until about 8 months old. She just played with it and wasn't really interested until then - maybe she would eat 1 tablespoon a day. She is now 5 and a great eater.
    Check out http://www.babyfood101.com for more info about starting solids.
    Lisa
    RubyAlexander

Answer by RubyAlexander at 2:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• We started with vegetables at around five months. I fed them did one at a time just to make sure they weren't allergic. It can be slow going. Many babies aren't thrilled with solids, some are but a lot aren't. I started with a half container and just let them decide when they wanted more.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2009