Is there any moms out there that is a recovering addict??? If so I have a question on how to deal with a sister that is still using and parents that cont. to enable her and are upset with my choice of cutting all ties with her until she can join me in the Journey of Recovery.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• i once was an addict. there really isn't anything you can do until she hits rock bottom. of course your parents helping along doesn't help either and obviously you telling them so won't help. i consider myself quite lucky cause i just decided one day i had enough and i have been clean ever since. i never liked it and just couldn't quit but 8 months in jail helped get clean and sober but staying clean in sober when i got took me not having any contact with anyone anymore. i also went into a half way house and took a cognative intervention class. court ordered of course. i had to get in jail etc to change. i would call that intervention show on a&e.
    Anonymous

• I am so sorry. It must be difficult for you to cut ties with your sister. I am not a recovering addict, however, I have dealt with addiction my whole life. Anyone who has not dealt with it has no way of knowing that the addiction affects us around it as much as the addict. I understand your frustration at your parents for being her enablers. Right now they feel they have lost so much of her and they are in fear of losing her all together. You said " Join me in the journey of recovery." Does this mean you are recovering? If so I would just explain to her and your parents that continued contact with her is not health for your recovery. Explain to them that you need to cut ties with her for your sake and the sake of your children. Please try to maintain a relationship with your parents. They have a difficult road ahead with your sister and they are going to need you. Please PM me if you want to vent or just talk about anything.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I am a recovering addict from pain pills...I am only 6 months clean and loving every minute of my life. I had 4 surgerys in a year and as a result I became addicted to pain pills. I got to a point where enough was enough and I put myself in rehab. My sister and I used together and she is cont. I sent her a letter telling her I could no longer stand by and watch her destroy her life and as a result of that... my parents are upset.  My brother is 15 years clean from Cocain and he is the only one that will not put up with our sisters lies. CPS has been called on her twice and she was caught stealing $700 worth of stuff from fred meyer and she has been in and out of jail and nothing seems to make her want to turn her life around and I do not want my kids around her. She has lost all of her friends and does not own up to anything!!! We were brought up in a loving, finacially stable home.

sunny2587

Answer by sunny2587 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• if they keep enabling her, she could die. Plain & simple.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:02 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I'm not a recovering addict, but I have been around enough of them to know there is no hep for an addict until they are ready to quit. There is no point in trying to help until they seek out help. I am sure you have made it clear to her you will be there for her when she is ready, and that is really all you can do. Maybe you can suggest to your parents that they go to alanon or a similar program so they can learn a better way of dealing with her?
    Allie428

Answer by Allie428 at 2:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2009