Is there a difference between Pagan and Wicca?

Please no bashing. I grew up in a home without religion. I grew up in a single-parent household and my mother never spoke of religion. Now as an adult I am trying to understand religion and the differences between them. I have noticed that there seem to be a few Pagan mothers on here and I just want to know is Pagan is the same as Wicca or what the differences are. Anyone know good websites or books I could checkout about different religions? I just don't know what to tell my son. He has started asking questions and I have no answers because I didn't grow up practicing any religion. Please don't just tell me to read the Bible. With so may things to believe, I want to be well studied in as many as possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes and no. Pagan is an umbrella term for many beliefs that o no follow the typical 'Christian' religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paganism
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• First of all, Pagan and Wicca do not have anything to do with devil worship, regardless of what many may think. That is a distortion.

Wicca is a pagan religion. Pagan religions are simply religions that do not belong to the mainstream religions of Judaism, Islam or Christianity. Pagan religions were simple, earth-based religions. Somewhere along the way, because Christianity wanted to be predominant, the belief spread that, whatever is not Christian must belong to the Devil.
    PrincesaBoricua

Answer by PrincesaBoricua at 1:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Wiccan is to Pagan as Methodist is to Christian
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Okay, I'm gonna try to take this one question at a time... IF you have more questions or need more information just let me know.

Is there a difference between Pagan & Wiccan? Yes and No. Wiccan't are pagans, but not all Pagans are Wiccans. It's like the idea of Catholics are Christian but not all Christians are Catholic.

Pagan is a blanket term that tends to mean anything that's not Abrahamic in nature (Jewish, Christian or Islamic). However if someone claims Pagan as their religious path, they are most likely not Buddhist... They would generally fall in to a religion with beliefs, traditions and possibly direct ties to a pre-christian religion. In general they are nature based religions and most are polytheistic (more than one god). They tend to have a great respect and love for nature and all in it and as a whole are very tolerant to alternative lifestyles.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• If you were wanting to look in to Paganism or Wicca I have a great list of books for you to check out... Great Pagan Education Books for the Novice or Expert

You can also check out www.PagansPath.com

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:13 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Also, if you are interested in learning about many paths there are a couple of groups right here on CafeMom to check out...

Starting with MINE...  End Religious Intolerance and Ignorance
    Here are some others as well...
    Wicca/Pagan/Christian witch
    Wicca 101
    ~Unorganized Religion~
    Religious Roundtable

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I also want to suggest the Idiots Guide To... books. They are really informative and keep it simple as well.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Sabrina gave a great answer and I didn't have a lot to add, except to say that many people group faiths under major 'umbrellas'- the Abrahamic faiths (Judaism, Islam,Christianity), the Pagan faiths (which Sabrina already covered) and the Dharmic faiths (Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism, Taoism, etc.) Those may give you some beginning categories to research if you are interested in learning about different faiths.

There are some great websites out there with unbiased info about different beliefs- beliefnet.com is good, religioustolerance.org is good as well. HTH a bit!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I have to agree the Idiot's Guides, For Dummies and Everything series are all awesome. I have all the pagan/wicca ones on the list I gave you!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I would agree about the Dummies and Idiots guides books, you may have a good selection at your library, try The Dummies (or idiots) guide to religion, and they also have a book for almost every religion, Hinduism, Buddhism, Catholicism, etc.  Now some websites! BeliefNet this is an inspiration site and also has information about a lot of religions and they have a quiz to tell you what religion your personal beliefs line up to the best. The belief-o-matic . Religious Tolerance this site also has information about a lot of world religions. And I have some great websites for individual religions as well, if you have any more questions feel free to PM me. I love religious studies.

NotteStellata

Answer by NotteStellata at 4:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2009