days vs. nights

My baby girl is 3 weeks and 3 days old, and has only been home from the hospital for about 2 weeks maybe a little less. But when she was in the NICU they didn't have any windows open so she could see the sun, I don't know if that's the cause. But how can I get my baby to understand that day she should be up, and night she should sleep. At night she'll be up for up to 3 hours, and during the day sleep. Even when I try to wake her up, she'll still sleep. What can I do to teach her day and night?

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• shes still too young and will get it on her own. My daughter did not have a day and night schedule until around 8 weeks. And taht was due to feeding.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I woke my babies up every 3 hours during the day, as least to eat. I did everything possible to keep them awake long enough to get a full feeding (bfeeding, at least 15 mins per side) - including changing their diapers, undressing them, even stroking their cheeks and forehead with a wet washcloth. At night, I would let them sleep as long as they could go. Some people say don't wake a sleeping baby, but after my first one I needed to get them on the same schedule as my older one(s) as quickly as possible and that's what did the trick for me.

Answer by missanc at 2:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Oh - it took up to a week for them to get on a normal day/night schedule.

• At three weeks old you and your baby are on her schedule, not yours. The best advice I could give you though is to sleep when she sleeps. She should start sleeping more at night around 3-4 months old. Good luck and enjoy that precious baby!
    SweeThang931

Answer by SweeThang931 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Heh heh....even if she was born outside in the sunshine she'd be doing this. Keep the lights low at night, but don't expect her to work this out for a while. And don't expect long stretches of sleep at night for a long long time. Five hours is sleeping through, and she'll acheive that when SHE is ready.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2009