How can I encourage her to walk?

My daughter will be 11 months old Oct. 9th. I really want her to be walking by the time she turns 1! Is there anyway I can encourage her to walk?

sweetpea808

Asked by sweetpea808 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Unfortunately it's up to what she wants not what you want. just take her hands and walk with her more and maybe she'll decide that she's ready.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Don't push,be patient, it will happen!!!! you will be following her around for a while when she does, don't be in such a hurry!

Answer by older at 1:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• yes as the others said, you cant really set a goal for all milestones. if she isnt ready to walk by 1, she isnt ready. but she will walk eventually, and you can certainly encourage her! there are great sit-stand-walk toys out there, you can also bring her to playgroups and if lots are walking she might try! stand over her and help her put one foot in front of the other and walk slowly with her. if she refuses or just doesnt seem interested at the time, go with her flow :) she'll let you know when she's ready
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My son loves to push stuff around. Try getting a Walk N Ride type of toy. My son pushes it all over the house and is just about to walk on his own. He has been pushing it around for about a month and is SOOO proud of himself!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Let her progress at her own pace

Answer by admckenzie at 2:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My husband and I sat a very small distance apart and stood our son up. We kept our hands up close to him and he walked back and forth from DH to myself. He didn't crawl again. Hope this helps.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I forgot to mention you might try putting him in a walker or something to push. There are all kinds of things that you can get. My son had one shaped like a hippo that could be pushed or ridden and it picked up plastic blocks with plastic food inside like it was eating.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I put my daughter in dresses as it is hard to crawl around in them. But she was ready to walk, she just didnt get the how to do it part. she pushed her toys from one side of the livingroom to the other, she finally started walking when I started watching another little girl that already walks. I think once they see another baby do it they want to try it too. If shes ready, just try walking with her holding both hands.
    Bratch1707

Answer by Bratch1707 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• put a rolled towel across her chest, under her arms, so that you have control behind her with the ends of the towel. She can practice with out the fear of falling.
    momofcali3

Answer by momofcali3 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2009