is it all just the age or should I be looking for other issuses?

My 19 month old son is all over the place very interested in everything even when we tell him no. He does things like climb on the table part of our sectional couch, no matter how many times we pull him down and tell him no several time a day and 4 or 5 time in a few minutes sitting him on the couch, then on the floor if he still wasnt getting it etc, going on for the last 4 months. he throws his food I have tried everything feeding him in the chair getting a booster chair and having him eat with us at table. He doesnt understand no he doesnt like hearing it but he doesnt get it either. He thinks we have to carry him at the store, he wont stay sitting in the cart more then 5 minutes in the store and he screams if he is starpped in. Getting him to sit in carseat to get strapped in is a fight, when its done hes fine.This table thing seems to be the worst of my problems seeing as how its happened 3 times since I started this

mommyy0920

Asked by mommyy0920 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's the age...he's learning that every action has a reaction...even if that's you telling him 'NO'. it will pass. Just don't start giving in...like with the store...if you give in after he throws a fit, he now knows that eventually you will always give in. As for the feeding...put down a tablecloth and put his chair in the middle..when he gets done throwing everything, clean it up, cloth and all, and when he realizes that he will not get anymore, he will quit throwing it or he won't get to eat it.
    As for the screaming, he has learned that he has a voice and using it gets him attention, even if it's negative attention...just keep going on about your business like it's nothing new.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• normall! buy him a balloon at the store always worked for me
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 2:13 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Welcome to toddlerhood! :D Enjoy!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• OMG.. Boys right?? haha.. we had all girls in my family til my son came along.. Yeah, they are really truly BORN different and wild and crazy and cookie and EXTREME.. Just be consistant. my son used to be my "big Helper" in the store and Now I can't bring him anymore, I do my errands when I can have my mom watch him or when he goes to bed and my husband is home. its a pain but he won't sit in the cart either and pitches a fit when I strap him in there for not listening. The throwing the food, there's a period I stopped LETTING him eat by himself if he can't do it without throwing the food. I went right back to spoon feeding him like an infant again. We did time outs for a while but like you said, my son didn't GET it either. He won't be 5 needing you to feed him but during this stage, yeah, maybe you'll have to. Or 1 bite of food at a time ONLY. I also agree with jademom. take it away but I have a tough time with that too.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2009