What can I make out of DD's old clothes?

Ivy's clothes are starting to fit tight or get really worn out. Many of the shirts have old set in stains so I can't take them to resale shops. I was wondering what kind of things you can make out of spare fabric. She's 2 and I don't want anymore kids for a very long time so I don't need any home made cloth diapers. I was thinking multi colored skirts and scarves for her or small sweaters for my cats. Anyone got sewing success stories? What have you made? I've never sewn before and don't have a machine so basics would be best for me. Got instruction videos or links?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 1:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Share the clothes with neighbors or give them to charity like Goodwill. That is what we all do.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• if the stains arent all that bad, you could donate them! some people would be happy to have clothes with small stains than no clothes at all. you could make a quilt, pillowcase, purse/bag, you could make her her own apron, skirt or dress, the cat outfits are a cute idea hahahaa. I have a personal story! my son outgrew a cute pair of pants and I have a ton of fabric laying around, so I made him some funky patchwork pants! I think it is posted on my profile....
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:00 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I like the skirt idea, you can also make a quilt of all her favorites from each age just keep adding to it each year and when she is an adult she will have a huge quilt from all her sports/school shirts and favorite clothing for her whole life!!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Make a purse, or tote bag.....a bag that your dd can use to carry things to grandma's or overnights.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• You could make all kinds of cool patchwork things: purses, tote bags, quilts, pants, skirts, jackets
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Use squares of the clothes and over the years (as she grows continue to add squares) and when she is grown, finish it as a quilt for her first place. Or make a series of blankets (saving these squares) and make a baby blanket for her first child.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Coordinate some colors together, tear or cut strips, and tie them onto a pair of flip flops....cute! You make a pair for yourself too! lol

These are all wonerful ideas...thanks from me.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Purses are REALLY easy to make and a great thing to make out of old clothes. Just use a strong stitch and it will last through all kinds of things.

Bags (something to carry water and snacks in to the park or something) are also easy. They are really cute when you use several different patchs pieced together from different materials.

Skirts and Dress Up clothes are also good starter pieces for someone who's new to sowing.

***Blankets for a local women's shelter is also a nice idea and a good way to get practice in for making more complex pieces.***

GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous

• I'm making a floor quilt for my DD's future kids out of the stuff that is too stained or ripped. :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• You can make tons of thing our of them or donate them to someone or someplace who doesn't care they are stained. There are lots of kids who have nothing to wear and would be happy with something.
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 2:54 AM on Oct. 7, 2009