DAYCARE!

Hey fellow moms! I am doing a presentation on the pros and cons of daycare so if yall could help me out with a little bit of your opinions that would be awesome! thank you!

FirstMomAnt

Asked by FirstMomAnt at 1:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you have a preference for in home daycare or 'buisness-style' daycare?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• either
    FirstMomAnt

Answer by FirstMomAnt at 1:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• More illness if in a daycare
    Anonymous

• hell, I have a whole power point on choosing quality child care...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I definitely prefer school type daycares and would never put my child in an in-home situation...I just trust a school more, the teachers are there to tend to my children all day long with story time, play time, craft time, etc, it is their ONLY job for the day... in home daycare, the woman could be doing her laundry, cleaning her house, getting dinner ready for her family, etc. I like that my kids go 2 days per week and get outside stimulation, they learn so much at their daycare/preschool. Now that they are a bit older, 4 and 2, they get to go on field trips, etc. They have friends. We've met lots of people and really feel part of the community.

I thought I wanted to be a SAHM, and was very upset that we couldn't afford it...but now I see just how much it has benefited them and I know it was the right choice for us. I am thankful they've only had to go part time and fwiw, we live in a small town.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Also, yes, in the first year I believe they get sick more often if they go to daycare, but I think there is a study that children who go to daycare are sick much less often later, fine by me, I'd rather they miss days at daycare than at real school, kwim?
    gramsmom

• I guess I'm one of the few moms on here that is lucky enough to get to stay home with my precious child. I actually refuse to put my son in daycare because you just never know what goes on when you r not there.
    SweeThang931

Answer by SweeThang931 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Sweethang, that is exactly why I prefer the school environment vs in home... you really have no idea what's happening at an in home daycare. While I'm sure most are just fine, just can't take that chance. Our school is licensed, background checks on all the teachers who have backgrounds in early child development, etc. etc.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• babycenter.com has great info. But here are my personal thoughts:

Day care Pros
    1. social interaction with kids their own age
    2. learn from watching the other kids
    3. stricter about rules and training for their teachers
    4. if a teacher is out, the center doesn't close.
    5. kids are separated by age and there for have age appriorpiate toys and play without the risk of older kids running them over or accidently getting hurt by playing with an older childs toy
    6. multiple teachers means they can teach different styles for the kdis

Day care cons:
    1. more illness -- this usually is for the first year or two until the childs immune system builds. I personally feel this is a benefit as well becuase if you don't get it at day care, you'll go thorugh the same process when the kid starts public school.
    2. stricter rules -- such as sick policy, medications, etc.
    3. multiple teachers means ... cont.
    Anonymous

• cont ..
    3. multiple teachers means harder to get info about your child when you drop off/pick up. You don't always have easy access to both teachers depending on timing.
    4. children learn bad habits form each other and the teachers

Oh, another pro: They learn independence

home care pros:
    1. individual care
    2. usually less kids in total
    3. relaxed rules on medicines, sickness, etc.

home care cons:
    1. if the provider is sick, you might be stuck watching your own kids.
    2. depending on the provider, education level may not be as high as with a center
    3. wide range of ages
    4. provider has more freedom and may take your child places w/o consulting you.

My preference and experience is a day care center (if you can't tell). Someone with more experience with home care and probably provide more pros/cons for you.
    Anonymous