Friends with Fellow Pre-School Parents

DD started pre-K this year and it was in the first week that I met another mom who has a daughter in DD's class. She has a 3 & 4 year old...each is in a different pre-K class. We hit it off great and would stand around after drop-off to chat and just talk & laugh.

A couple weeks ago she started talking to this other mom who has a 3yo DD in my friend's 4yo's class. They've hit it off, which is great, but in doing so, I've been thrown off to the side.

I've tried to join in their conversations, but I feel like such a 3rd wheel. Body language alone tells me it isn't meant to include me. In the times I have been included, I get a vibe from the other mom that she just does not like me...and I have no idea why.

I'm not jealous or anything. The more friends, the merrier. I just don't know if I should forget her as a friend and move on or keep trying as I have been or just outright and ask my friend what is going on.

Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just keep them as aquaintances. They are being rude and do not deserve your friendship. Dont give them the choice. Just say hi when you pick up and drop off and leave it at that.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Ask your friend what is going on. She is your friend after all right? You guys hit it off and why not find out if the other lady is standoff-ish for a reason. It may not be as bad as it seems after all.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Eh, I'd just be friendly and polite and not push and see how it pans out... strange though... did anything happen? Did you have any weird conversation that would turn her off?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Maybe she is after something and you didnt have what she was looking for. Like a mom with a pool so she could bring her kids over in the summer time. Or found out where you work so she could use your discount. Stuff like that. Some people are crazy!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2009