can u home test for a bladder infection in a 5 week old?

hes had 2 befor, and today his urine smells strong? again, so im afraid he might have one im already on wait with his ped..but its taking forever..

eSnA2008

Asked by eSnA2008 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. Bladder infections and UTI's (Urinary Tract Infections) have to be tested by a doctor. Sorry!
    JamiDesigns

Answer by JamiDesigns at 2:17 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Wow, I have never heard of a baby that young having a bladder infection, let along multiple. Is your pedi. not concerned about what may be causing them? If you are formula feeding, then you may want to consider switching brands or something. That just seems so odd to me. I hope your little one feels better. I wasn't aware of any home test to test bladder infections, period. Good luck!

Anonymous

• How can a child so young keep having infections? Do you supplement feedings with water to flush out the kidneys?

Answer by admckenzie at 2:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Just be patient and take him to the doc asap if you think something is really wrong. I don't really know about any home tests for babies, so just stick with your doc and if he gets any worse keep calling them until they tell you to come in.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• no we are testing him to make sure his kidneys are working properly and stuff...in fact he goes today for his u/s. hes been hospitalized both times for it. the first one he was they said probably born with, so really idk.
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• and it isnt common for them to get them this young esp multiple times..usually there is something not working properly with thier kidneys..which is why we are testing them.
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• No you can't home test. My daughter has had 2 in the first 9 months of life...they may also want to do a VCUG exam to make sure your son doesn't have reflux (the urine going back up) or any other issues.
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2009