can children or babies get chicken pox from some one who has shingles

a friend of mine has shingles and i was wondering if she held my one month old chicken pox

mommy2b924

Asked by mommy2b924 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can get it from that since they are the same virus. My friend had shingles and did not pass them to dd. But it happens. If she is on an antibiotic then I wouldnt worry, HOwever if you are concerned then dont let her hold the baby untill it is cleared up. just remember that its the contact with the infection that is worrisome so if they are covered then you should be fine.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• no my moms got shingles a few times and my kids are always around her they havent got chicken pox
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Actually eSnA2008 - one CAN get chicken pox from someone that has shingles. It is more difficult to pass along the virus when it manifests the 2nd time as Shingles than it's original go around of chicken pox, but it IS possible. Shingles is contagious while the blisters are breaking open. Anyone susceptible (those being anyone not vaccinated or not having chicken pox in the past) can catch the virus during this time. (Chicken pox on the other hand, is spread much the way other viruses are spread - through droplets in the air following sneezing, germy hands touching surfaces, etc.)

My mother had shingles this past year. She was advised not to be near children or adults that were not yet vaccinated or had never had the virus when she was blistered as those could come down with chicken pox as a result of any contact. She's a hospice volunteer and had to cancel all her visits until cleared by the doctor.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• To answer your question OP - I personally would not risk exposing a 10-month old to the virus. I personally wouldn't allow a person with active shingles to hold the infant.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:15 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Yes. google shingles. it is chickenpox and therefor can be passed to someone who has never had chickenpox. However, you can't catch shingles as it is the result of the chicken pox virus re activating after you have chicken pox.
    Anonymous

• My little sister had the chicken pox at younger than 10 months and she did fine.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My 4.5 month old grandson has just been saw the doctor and has chicken pox caught by being exposed to his great grandmother that had the shingles. So the answer is yes. Babies can get the chicken pox from the shngles.
    TDN

Answer by TDN at 5:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2009