help please

i need to get a sewing machine that will sew everything from thin cotton to heavey denium and foax fur. (my spelling isn't great sorry)
what machines are good?

abby.

Asked by abby. at 2:25 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Ive always had a Singer. They last for years
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I agree that Singer is a good brand. You will have to look at several of the machines and features. Mostly, the sewing ability will come from the needle that you choose and what kind of foot feed is on the machine. Hope this helps. Good luck! (BTW: I bought a decent Singer at Wal-Mart for a good price).
    MaeI

Answer by MaeI at 4:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I agree, Singer is the best. My mom bought hers back in the 70's and still runs like new. And like a PP said, alot has to do with what type of needle you use- the thicker the fabric, the larger the needle. I sewed some faux fur one time and simply took the foot of my machine and hand guided it through. I got my singer at wal mart for around $70 and it has sewn everything I've ever done wonderfully!!
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Singer used to be made in the USA, but is now made in Asia, in the same factories as many of the other machines. Janome has been rated #1 of the affordable machines that are available to home sewers frequently, & Bernina and Husqvarna Viking are generally at the top if you're buying a high end machine. Juki is an industrial machine, but can be purchased by pretty much anyone.

Not all machines will sew on denim & faux fur. I'd go to a dealership where you can test machines, & take scraps of the fabrics that you want to sew to test the machines. Dealerships have display models that you can actually test. They are generally higher priced than department stores, but usually you can bargain on the prices at a dealership. They also will almost always train you on the machine you purchase, & are more likely to do repairs on site, although you need to check with the dealership. I can send you the tip sheet I give to my sewing student
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:03 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• By the way, just because you test the machines at the dealership doesn't mean you have to buy them there.....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:11 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I agree but before you go to a sewing store that allows you to try the machines do some research online. Figure out what features you need and what you don't.. And how much can you spend. Do you want a new machine or a used one?

You don't just want a machine that sews certain clothes you need one that you're comfortable using. If you're not comfortable using it, it will never get used.

My favorite sewing machine is the one I've had for 20 years and it was 30 years old when I got it. Still working great.
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 2:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• My grandma got me 2 sweing machines. I have a singer and a simplicity. Im always using my singer. I have had it since i was 10 and used it all the time then and still do and its been 10 years. And it still works great! But do your research on them. You want to make sure that it has what you want on it. The simplicity machine that i have is a crappy one. I cane even make button holes with it. But look around. If you have friends with a sewing machine ask to use theirs to see if you like it. Some places they have them set up so you can try them out before you purchace one. Good luck =)
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:31 AM on Oct. 7, 2009