halloween and school

I know lots of you celebrate halloween--and think nothing wrong with it--i, chose not to celebrate this holiday for my own reasons--and my 8 year old understands that--the problem is this year his school is going to have a Halloween parade in the middle of the afternoon where they dress up and march around the school--i do not want my son to partake in this, but also do not want him to feel "oddball out" so to speak because he is a very sensitive kid-and kids can be cruel---any one have any suggestions???

jdmyangel

Asked by jdmyangel at 2:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Let him participate. It's not about you it's about him!!
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• if your that concerned keep him home, or just let him participate its all in good fun. schools usually do this every year.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 2:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Would you say the same thing, LuvBug3, if it was a Christmas Pagent Parade? For a lot of Christians, Halloween is not celebrated and they find it offensive. Schools need to either keep ALL celebrations that are religious in nature out or include them all.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• In our school system, we have a parade but only with written consent. In the elementary schools, only up to 3rd grade.In private you don't have to dress up. My son does not. So the school hands out pumpkin masks etc.Let your son tell you how he feels and compromise. GL.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I agree with the above comment, get him a fun costume not a scary one, participating in Halloween would be trick or treating, this is just a parade, let him go!

Answer by older at 2:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Well, I'm Christian and find nothing wrong with it!
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My mother was like you. She didn't approve of Halloween (or other holidays for that matter) and my sister and I were always made to sit out in the hall or in the office when they had any type of holiday stuff going on. It was horrid! Every year they would show halloween movies to the whole school and we had to sit - for hours - in the office while everyone else watched them.

Do your son a favor and pull him out of school that day, or just don't send him at all... Don't make him just sit it out, that's like being punished because others don't have your beliefs...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I'm a Christian and find nothing wrong with it either, but I do respect the Christians who have a real problem with it. That is why schools should just not be doing this at all.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Either keep him home or let him participate, and FWIW, I would let my kids participate in just about anything they do in schools even if I don't agree 100% My children will know how I feel about things and how we do things at home and what we do or don't believe, but I think that allowing them to learn about ALL religions, cultures, etc. is only a good thing for them, I want them to think for themselves and make their own decisions in life.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• my son didn't participate in it. we talked about the reasons why and the schools will usually give an alternative... JW's don't participate in any holidays so i'm sure ur son won't be the only one. just talk to the school.

oh and its good ur not compromising on this issue... it will teach ur son as he's growing up not to compromise on the bigger issues when he's older.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2009