Making black beans

I dont know what it is about me and dried beans that just dont get along! Some times when i make them, they turn out great, other times, not so much. Last night i did black beans. Boiled them for a couple minutes, let them soak over night. They are still hard! What the heck? Am i missing something with this whole bean thing?

MommaTurbo

Asked by MommaTurbo at 2:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Seems to me for dried beans you soak overnight. Rinse and sort through, then boil until soft- about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I added salt during the softening stage once, and they never got soft, but I know some people do add it. I've also heard not to add acidic stuff like tomatoes until they are soft.

Answer by Bmat at 2:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My mother makes the best black beans ever! she uses a pressure cooker to get them soft besides the soaking part. One of her ingredients is Marsala wine and a bit of sugar because they tend to be bitter, and a little hot spice for some kick!

Answer by older at 2:58 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• soak first, drain well, then cook in the crock pot. that'll take the work out of it,
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• So they aren't supposed to be soft after soaking over night? DOH!!! Guess i better go cook them now then! :D

And i didn't know that about the salt. I like the taste after they soak in salt, but i guess i'll wait til next later to add it next time!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 4:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I just boil my dry beans for about 30 minutes and never let them soak.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Sort, soak, then cook. Don't add any acids (like tomatoes) or salt until they are completely soft. I usually buy turtle beans; they take 3-4 hours. If the beans are old, they may never get soft.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2009