Do you think there is a little "racist" in us all?

Do you think no matter what ethnicity you are there are hints of racism in you? Do you think that if you are the only black woman in a neighborhood of all white women you feel a little uncomfortable? Or do you think that "white flight" where when the number is rising of another ethnicity that caucasian people tend to move from that area is an example of that? How about if you go to the store and notice that you are say, the only hispanic person there does that make you feel out of place? Do you think that it is a natural reaction or a learned behavior? Does your gut reaction to things make you racist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Actually, I hate everyone equally. Doesn't matter to me, race or religion.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 2:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I think we do in a way. It may not be racism but its along those lines. I know that growing up in the city I am more uncomfortable around ppl that I dont know if they look a certain way. But i beleive every race has the good and bad side. Like white and white trash, black and the N work. Hispanic and the S word. With society swearing that things should be equal and then hiring a minority over someone more qualified, its no wonder that racism still exists. The messages that we are sending can be very distorted.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• It's definitely a taught behavior. Look at children for instance, they see no color, just another child. They don't care if they are White, Hispanic, Black, Asian or whatever.  They generally don't feel out of place if they are th only child of their own race. I do believe that racism has to be taught. I also believe however, that sometimes, pride of one's own race is perceived as racism when it's really not. There's nothing wrong with being proud of who you are and what race you are. It doesn't mean you "hate" other races, just that you are proud of yours.

Anonymous

• I will say, on the children note- one time my youngest and I were at a bookstore and she was playing with the Thomas the Train table and all of these children came around and started playing, well a few minutes later she looked up at the children ( the entire group was Asian, and we are not) she looked at all of their faces and started crying- I think it was because it was an unfamiliar look to her - she was almost two at the time.
    Anonymous

• I think the media has some invovlement. I live in an all white small town...and when people see someone non-white they freak out!! seriously they do! because all they know is what they hear on TV.
    They never had a chance at seeing that people of color really aren't bad. Every race has some screwballs,bullies, rapists, murderers.
    Actually what I have seen is people who come to America for a dream they actually work their ass off!!
    Versus people born here, they take everything for granted and turn their nose up at the people who do work hard.

Anonymous

• I can honestly say for me, it's not racism. I judge people by their behavior, not by their color. If I were the only white person living in a neighborhood, I would honestly not care. I could live in an all white neighborhood and every one of the neighbors be drug dealers and sex offenders, same as I could live in an all black neighborhood with the nicest people. It's not the color, its the person. I would feel the same way whether I saw a white man who looked shady (like I do around here...scraggly beard, trench coat in winter, sunglasses on cloudy days, whatever) as I would if he was black or hispanic.

I do believe that many people do have that teeny bit of "racism" in them but then I also believe that in most of those cases its not true racism, it's what they have learned from society or from their family. I am proud to say my kids STILL don't see people's color.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:02 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• oops meant trench coat in summer lol
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• i think we all have a little prejudgest in us, not necessarily racism but we are irritated by some sort of person, for me it is the lazy complainer, i dont care what color ya are,,, if you sit on your butt doing nothing and complain i dont like you.... i was also raise to be prejudgest against the obese, i am better now, but i cant help it sometimes to think things i shouldnt.... (eat another doughnut, you really need it fatty!)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I think we all have some racism in us. Big difference is most of us are adult and human enough to surpress it.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I think that we all have some sort of bigotry in us.
    Anonymous