Two sick kids!

I have 2 kids, aged 3 years and 10 months. They have both come down with the flu (H1N1? I hope not, but the lab results are not back yet). They are completely miserable (as is expected) and we are all exhausted. We were all up half the night last night because the kids were having coughing fits. The haven't had a nap yet today and they really need one so I put them down for a nap. I gave my 10 month old a bottle and got her sleepy before I put her down like usual, but asa I put her down she started screaming. I tried rocking her for a bit and putting her to sleep that way (since she's sick) but again, asa I put her down she was awake and screaming. I am letting her cry right now because I KNOW she needs some sleep, but I feel awful because I know she's not feeling well. What would you have done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I'm not a Dr. or R.N. but it seems to me like your daughter might have an ear infection. Is she pulling on her ears? Usually, when you lie down with an ear infection, it hurts because the tubes in her ears fill with fluid and it causes pressure and pain. My son used to be like that. I pray that your little ones feel better soon so you can get some well deserved rest!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't let her CIO --- the crying is just going to make her congestion worse... you know how it is when you have congestiong & try to lie down... it's just not happening. Plus with all the drainage going on already, you're probably setting yourself up for a MAJOR barfing session.

If it were me (and I have 4 kids that all tend to get sick together, too. so I've been there) I'd prop EVERYBODY up in my bed - so they can breathe & sleep - & try to catch a nap that way.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I would hold her until she fell asleep.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:32 AM on Oct. 7, 2009