Any Sahm's not very involved with PTA?

My daughter just started K, and I have been to back to school night and have the PTA application asking for commitees that I would be interested in serving on. This sounds bad to say, but I really don't want to be terribly involved with the PTA. I don't mind serving on a committee and helping out when asked, but most of what they do doesn't seem very interesting. I'm much more interested in helping out directly in my daughter's class. I feel guilty about this because I have two SIL's that are extremely involved in their school's PTA. It kind of seems like one of those things sahm's are "supposed" to do. Am I off base on this assumption or are there many other sahm's who just have no interest in being a PTA "Player"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Be a room mom or room rep they are involved directly with the class and go to an meeting or two now and then.
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• PS
    There are alot of things to do and not be directly involved with PTA if you feel comfortable ask you PTA president and tell them and see what openings they have and see what interests you. I am on the board at my sons school and we are always looking for moms to do things from home or other things where thedon't have to go to all the meeting. Hope this helps
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I am a WAHM and I am not involved in the PTA at all! You do not have to be on PTA, you could talk to the teacher and be a room parent, or school volunteer, or be a field trip chaparaone.
    Anonymous

• My mom just gave me great advice on this yesterday so I'll pass it on: If you're over-involved and the teachers start knowing you too well, the professional relationship can break down. I've been a teacher. The parents who do a few things now and then are the best. They aren't breathing down the teacher's neck. They are helpful. Come in an do a craft with the classroom or help with a holiday party. Pick something that has a clear start time and stop time, as on-going help is going to strain everyone.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I'm a SAHM and I don't volunteer at all at my kids' school. Mostly because they make it too difficult (back ground check and 3 hour training course). It's a pain. The only time I'm in the school is for Open House (2 a year) and parent/teacher conferences (2 a year). I'm not allowed to do anything else without the training, not even chaperon or help out at lunch. I can't have any contact with the kids during school functions (unless I'm a guest for something like Kindy graduation).
    We don't have a PTA but we have a Mother's Club (basically the same thing). I don't get along with other women and I'm sure I would hate the Mother's Club. Plus I dislike it on the principal that it excludes the dad's at the school (there is no Father's Club or anything like that).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Seriously, just write a check from time to time. Help in class when you want and if they are desperate for volunteers for events, maybe help. I avoid the PTA totally but volunteer here and there and always write a check. That's what they want anyway, money.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:48 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I'm a wakm and I'm not involved in the PTA.If I have a question or consurn I write a note to his teacher.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 7:17 PM on Oct. 6, 2009