Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepchildren & child support issues! serious answers, please

Idk if I should post my question with all that I've seen posted here, but I really do need some suggestions or advise or just opinions from different points of view. My husband's ex is modifying child suprt payments again! She wants an increase, even though my husband is making less this year due to lay off for 6 months. She knows this and that's why I don't understand why she thinks she's going to be awarded more $. But this may be it. My husband has 3 kids w/her. The oldest is turning 18 in Jan so she will be taken off. The 16 yr old was kicked out by her mom and went to live w/grandprnts for 1 1/2 yrs. I called cs office to let them know & to see how it would affect the modificatoin being she is not living w/her mom. The social worker said she called the ex and she denied it. NO SH!T She's not going to admit it. How can we prove ex is lying? She has 3 businesses, just bought new house and new SUV. That's what she needs $$


Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • It doesn't sound like she will get an increase with one child turning 18 and his lack of income. Sometimes it is just easier to go to court and let the judge tell the other parent they are out of their minds than to fight with them about it. I would also try to get some kind of proof or documentation that the 16 year old is living with her grandparents.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 3:48 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

  • The oldest will not be taken off just because she turns 18 if she is still in school.

    They will calculate the support based on both incomes.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

  • Depends on if your husband is still paying back pay or if he is just paying ongoing support. If it's on-going you have to have either the child or the grandparents state she is not living with her mother. If it's back pay they will make him pay it to her anyway but she cant modify it for an increase. If he was laid off 6 months and is making less they won't increase it anyway. My hubby pays child support on two kids to different mothers. Were always having trouble with them.

    Answer by kittymccaffery at 3:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2009