Could it be a medical problem?

My six year old has been potty trained for years now but still has daily accidents. He wets the bed most nights and sometimes wets his pants during the day. However, he never wets his pants at school and my mother swears he never wets the bed at her house. I have talked with his doctor about it and he swears that medically there is nothing wrong with my son. My mother swears that he is doing it on purpose and insists that I punish him for it. I refuse to because I had kidney problems at his age that were not diagnosed until my teen years and I was punished for wetting the bed. I have limited his liquid intake and mostly he doesn't drink any thing after 6 pm. He swears its not on purpose and I think he may hide it at my moms house for fear of getting in trouble. Could it be a medical problem that is being over looked? Anyone go through anything similar? Help I need advice.

JEAmom3

Asked by JEAmom3 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Give it another couple of years his bladder is still small and at home he is probably in a deep sleep and does not realize he has to pee, don't punish him. Have patience.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• sounds psychological to me. sorry cant spell lol! He seems to need your attention and with school and maybe other distractins this is his way of crying out. Does he have younger siblings in diapers? Maybe he is jealous of the attention they get.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• He has a younger brother but my three year old has been out of diapers for nearly a year now.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Find out how he is at school. Not the wetting but other behavior. Is he shy or quiet? Maybe hes at the stage in his life where he really feels like he needs you and doesnt get the tiem he wants.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• the bed wetting will pass but the daily occurances that are just at your home are what im talking about
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Do NOT punish him and I would take him to see a pediatric urologist to make sure there is nothing wrong. He could have an underactive bladder, a small bladder, or some other issues. A lot of boys wet the bed until after puberty when their bladders are fully developed. It could also be psychological.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I wet the bed until I was a teen. I was taken to the Dr. and diagnosed with a small bladder. Honestly, to this day I have serious issues with not being able to hold my bladder. So, it could be serious. But it could also just be being lazy, or being too excited to stop and go pee. I know when I was a kid sometimes I didnt want to get outta bed cuz I was cold or tired and peed in bed on purpose. Cuz I knew that my parents couldnt really get onto me cuz I had a medical condition... Thats embarrassing to say, but its true. I think my son wets the bed because hes afraid to get out of the bed at night. I try to keep him from doing it by not letting him drink late and making sure he goes to the bathroom. I dont do it with enough consistency to say whether or not thats working for me, though. I would get him checked out and maybe talk to a counselor. Sometimes they have a way of getting things through to our kids that we cant.
    tatum-n-benny

Answer by tatum-n-benny at 10:25 AM on Oct. 8, 2009