• In the Spotlight:

I am moving and i have to make a 20 hour drive, straight, what are some great activities to keep my 23 month old entertained, and busy for 20 hours (hoping he sleeps for 8 of them). Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated.

NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Asked by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 3:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it makes more sense to drive straight through and let the child sleep through most of the trip myself. We drove from Vermont to Chicago (~ 26 hours) when my son was 2. If your child likes movies and/or TV, get a portable DVD player. You can get them for under $100 now, and if it will hold his interest, it's well worth it. My son was also into stories, so we brought all his old favorites and a couple new ones and I read to him a lot. DH put on puppet shows for him from the front seat while I was driving. Luckily he did sleep a lot of it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Stop about every hour or at least every 2 hours to let him run around and get the kinks out. That's a long time for a little one to sit in one position. Is there no way you could stay in a motel overnight? It would let your baby run around and give you a break from driving- which you'll need.

Answer by Bmat at 3:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• your crazy (no offense) to drive 20 hours straight. I have done 12 and it was horrible and I was so tired at the end of the drive. I would suggest stopping and get a place to sa=tay alittle over half way and relax. There is no way a 23 month old will be good, occupied and not drive you insane cooped up for 20 hours.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• we are not stopping to stay overnight, we made the drive up here and it was not that bad of a drive (we were without a kid at that point though) I am looking for ideas to keep my son occupied rather than everyone telling me i need to stop, it can't and won't be done.
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 3:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Absolutely a portable DVD player with loads of movies (some old, some new ones of characters he likes), and he'd be almost guaranteed to sleep more if you left at an ungodly hour like midnight, LOL! Kids CD's if you wanted to sing some songs for a while, but the DVD player (long-battery life, extra battery if necessary, get the chargers you need and any adaptors) is a MUST HAVE! :)

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I had to drive about twelve hours with my 20 month old and 3 year old and we had to do a lot of stopping (we also stayed overnight at my friends' house about nine hours into the trip and then drove the other three hours the next day). They did a lot of sleeping actually and we also listened to some kids' CDs. I believe a portable DVD player would have also helped especially had it been an even longer trip such as the one you will be taking.
    LauraM99

Answer by LauraM99 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I do a 6 hour run a few times a year and the real key is comfy clothing and snacks. They get fussy, give them a grahm cracker. They get pissy, a packet of fruit snacks. I usually dont just give my son a snack whenever, but it did keep him quiet. You may have to stop a bit more often to make sure of diapers, get drinks ect. but usually I found DS can go 4 hours at a stretch easily and if hes asleep we DONT stop
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 5:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• let him stay up late the night before & runa around to get all of his energy out. that should help for the beginning of the trip. for the rest, i agree with pp.....lots of snacks, toys, books, and a portable dvd player. my son does great when he has his dvd player.
    riceswife

Answer by riceswife at 6:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2009