toddler bed vs. twin bed?

my son is 20 months and i plan on keeping him in his crib as long as possible.. however we are pregnant with # 2 now and i want to transition him before the baby comes so that he doesnt feel kicked out or displaced when the new baby gets here..
he will be moving down the hall to his "big boy room" soon after he turns 2.

so heres my question.. is in necessary to get him a toddler bed or can we just buy a twin? i dont see the necessity in getting a toddler bed if we are going to have to get a twin later. so is it ok to skip toddler bed all together? or is there a reason he should be in one that im not aware of? thanks so much!

jaxonsmmy

Asked by jaxonsmmy at 3:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I bought my dd a twin and am happy that i did. She will be able to sleep in it for as long as shes living here and it save you money. Just get guard rails.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Toddler beds are usually lower than twin beds (but it totally depends on the twin bed frame that you buy) & they sometimes have railings already attached. I don't think you need one if you don't want it. You can buy a lower twin bed or just put the mattress on the floor for a few months or you can buy a rail to use with the twin bed. They also have convertable crib to toddler to twin beds. That might be an option if your LO is resistant to moving out of the crib.

I used a toddler bed b/c 2 of my kids are 17 months apart so my DS was not ready to move out of his crib when DD was born. I got him a convertable crib & then changed it to a toddler bed later on. They use the same size mattress so that worked for us. Do some planning & shopping around & go with what works for you.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• The only good reason I can think of for a toddler bed is if your child has a really small bedroom and the extra space makes a difference. We used one for my oldest, but he outgrew it really fast and it just made one more sleep transition to go through. With the younger kids, we just went straight to the twin when they were ready for a bed.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Toddler beds are not necessary. You can go straight to a twin bed. Will save you some money too.

Answer by louise2 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• When my 16 month old is ready for her next bed it will be a twin, we have a convertable crib so in the mean time we could move her to the toddler part of it, but it is not necessary.
    Anonymous

• Both my kids, now 7 and 5, went right into a twin bed. You can buy temporary sides with a padded frame and netting that come up either side of the bed - connecting under the mattress. We used this with both kids until stopped moving all over the place at night (and therefore limited their risk of falling out at night.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My daughter went straight to a twin at 20 months. We got one at ikea, that is low to the ground, she has never had any issues with falling out or anything.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• we will be transitioning my son to his "big boy" bed jaxonsmmy for the same reason. We have a convertable crib and plan on using that as a toddle bed for a little while so he can get use to it and then will be using either a twin mattress or the queen sized guest mattress we currently on the floor.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• twin beds worked for both my boys, we just put the bedside rail things up to keep them from falling out.
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 7:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2009