Where do your middle school aged kids go after school?

Do you let them stay home by themselves or do you have them in an after-school program until you get off work? My daughter will be in middle school next yr, right now she is an after school program but im not sure what to do with her when she is in middle school? Not sure i want her staying by herself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I arranged my work schedule so that I could be home no more than 30 min after her. I scared me to death my 11 year old having to much time alone to get bored and start thinking about doing stupid things. If you can arrange you schedule I would if not I personally would see if there was a friend who did have a parent home that she could stay with. Latch key kids IMO have more opportunity to get into trouble than a kid who comes home to an adult. any adult. Good for you for trying to figure it out now! It may take time to figure out what will work for you.
    Anonymous

• I am a WAHM and am able to be home with my kids. The neighbor girl is in middle school and she comes home and is by herself till her mom's fiancee gets home 1/2hr later. During the summer I she was home alone.
    Anonymous

• I guess I don't understand. When I was 12, I was BABYSITTING so an 11 year old home for a couple hours, maybe three doesn't seem like that big of a deal. If I had friends over, I had to have them in the front yard, we couldn't go in the house. Mostly I just ate a really long snack, watched tv or read a book, then started my homework.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:58 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• i send my daughter to the boys and girls club and she loves it
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 6:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My daughter was in an afterschool program through 6th grade. In 7th and 8th grade, she went to my sister's house two days a week, volunteered as the homework helper at the afterschool program she attended two days a week, home alone one day a week.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• In 8th grade my son started going home by himself. I was very worried at first, but he was fine. He never did his homework, though. He did it later when we got home.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2009