how do they tell baby size without a final sonar??

So my doc said they don't do a third sonogram anymore, so how are they going to be able to know how big the baby is and if he is gonna fit? I'd kinda like to know if he's gonna be large or if there is a risk of him being bigger than my pelvis or something. And large heads sort of run in my family, so I'm kinda worried about him having a head like "Hey Arnold" lol! But seriously, I'd like to know, cause it kinda is my business and all. Do they use some other method or what?

sammybear71

Asked by sammybear71 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They can give you additional ultrasounds, but only if you medically need them. If you are not being offered another that most likely means that they believe everything is fine & you should have no worries. If there are signs of fetal distress later on, they will most likely order one then. If not, no need to worry...everything will work out. =)
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• well.. i didnt have a 3rd sonogram.. i only ha one at 6 wks and one at 22 wks.. but the doc can measure the length and its kinda weird but the head is preportional to the body.. so the doc should know how big the baby is gana be.... and the babies head wont be a football..lol.. it will get normal probably the same day or the day after.. but if the doc thought it was a problem im sure they would tell you..
    mommy2ys

Answer by mommy2ys at 4:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• There is no reliable way of determining the babies size until it is born, late ultrasounds are not reliable at all. They can be way off. Also there is no way of predicting if the baby will be to big for you to push out anyway, lots of women give birth to larger babies with larger than average heads without any issues, there is just no way to predict things like that.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 4:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• the sonogram is a horrible way to estimate the size of the baby. they are often 2 lbs off!!!! it is actually not necessary to have any ultrasounds at all, unless there is some suspicion of problems that could be seen on an ultrasound. i hope this helps :)

i have heard so many women tell stories about their OB saying their baby was too big, and then coming out tiny and vice versa. if an OB ever told me my baby was too big to come out of my pelvis i would call BS.

you will be fine :) my husband's head is big so i was nervous, and my son's head was 75 percentile but he fit out just fine :)
    Anonymous

• My Dr felt of my tummy at 36 weeks and said... "the baby is about 7 lbs" Then I went to have a u/s done because they were taking the baby by c-section at 37 weeks so they were checking for maturity and whatnot. The u/s tech said "this baby is measuring 8 1/2 lbs!" I told her what the Dr. said and she was like "well she could be right but I've never been that far off that I know of". Well at 37 weeks DS was born and weighed in at 8 lb 7 oz... tech was about spot on. He surely didn't grow over a pound in 1 week.
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 4:48 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• When I had my daughter (C-sect) I had a sonogram right before the operation. They told me she is a little baby with a lot of fluid in there. She turned out to be 9 pounds. I don't think they are very accurate. I don't think there is a way to tell until you start pushing.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:05 PM on Oct. 7, 2009