Can sickness affect a pregnancy test??

I just found out I have pneumonia and I have had it for two weeks. I last had a period on Aug. 20. Can being sick affect a pregnancy test? I have all the symptoms of being pregnant but 2 HPT came out negative. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

lovinthislife08

Asked by lovinthislife08 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Depending on the medication you are on yes it could effect a pregnancy test. Call ANY pharmacy or ER nurse and ask them!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I don't think it could affect the test, but if you really think that you could be, then go to the doctor and have them do a blood test. Its the only 100% way of knowing, even pregnancy tests can be wrong.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Some women don't test positive until mid-pregnancy with HPTs, so if you're pregnant & getting negatives I doubt its the fact you're sick, I still test positive sick (I had the flu a couple months ago & was changing doctors around the same time, so even though I was mid-pregnancy they had to do a pregnancy test, the urine kind, just to make sure - it was still positive). If you think you're pregnant get a blood test to make sure.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 4:49 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• NO, pnumonia is in your lungs, hpt tests your URINE for hcg levels
    Anonymous

• i don't think the sickness could do it but i agree with PP that sometimes the hormone just does not register in the urine for a looong time. rarely but sometimes. :) hope you are well soon
    Anonymous

• For the person who told me pneumonia was in my lungs...i know I'm NOT stupid!! I'm a medical science graduate!!! To everyone else, I have read online that it could affect a pregnancy test. There's numerous articles on it and was wondering if anyone else experienced it.
    lovinthislife08

Answer by lovinthislife08 at 8:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2009