when did you LO start eating stage 1 foods?

my DD doesn't seem satisfied with just BFing and FFing. So i started her on some rice cereal in her bottle but i've been looking at the stage one foods and wondering if it's too early to start her on that. i tried some bananas but she doesn't want to eat a lot of it so i kind of stopped tryn. and what about juice? oh and she's 5 months now

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 5:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OK. First thing. If she cannot take solids on a spoon, she's not ready for stage anything. Cereal in a bottle should be given only at a doctor's direction...it's a choking and aspiration risk. Not to mention increasing baby's risk for obesity further down the line.

Also know that this is the age that they want to nurse MORE. It's normal and if you go along with it, soon enough they'll be nursing less because your body will make more, more quickly. What you always WANT while nursing is a baby who's demanding. **grin**

All that said.

Never used stage anything. Or cereal. Mashed banana was the first food, at six months. Followed by mashed avocados, peas, potato. If I ate it, my son ate it. AFTER nursing first.

Don't feel you MUST do the jars. No need. What's on your plate is generally tastier and better for baby.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• She said it. They never really did, mostly straight to table food. I think we had some jarred stuff, but never really used it with the older two. Third time around I didn't buy any of it, not one box of cereal not one jar of baby food.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 5:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• my dd she was 4 mts. my ds he is 7 mts and am still trying to get him to like it
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• dd- 3months
    my ds is 2 months and i'm starting him with just a little
    Anonymous

• was son was 3 months
    Anonymous

• DS was 10 weeks I think, but it could have been 3 mos. I bought some of the jarred stuff, but he seemed to like stuff with a little bit of texture better. We mostly used applesauce and had fun with the blender. We got a magic bullet as a Christmas gift and it was GREAT! Toss some veggies in, add a little water, put the steamer lid on, microwave till soggy, blend, let cool.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 6:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Never did stage one. Stage two jars were much more cost effective and I just gave 1/2 a jar at first. It's the same stuff.

We started stage 2 at 4 months.

If she's acting hungry give her more breastmilk or formula. Giving her LESSER calorie foods are not going to help at all.
    Anonymous

• i started at 4 months also but nothing sweet only green beans peas carrots ect...but now he does not like sweey foods and eats great off of a spoon only 7 months and ready to feed his self with a spoon lol
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 2:33 AM on Oct. 7, 2009