Is there a reason that Episcopal churches look almost like cathedrals?

There are two Episcopal churches in my town. Both of them are gawwwgeous. One of them looks an awful lot like a "classic" Catholic church though. You know, elegant archways and old stained glass and stone walls. Pretty much every other Episcopal church I've seen was pretty ornate as well. Is there a reason for this, or am I seeing things?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 5:12 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes, bc they are a break off of the Catholic church and its influence.
    Anonymous

• Ahhh, I figured as much, but I wasn't sure =)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Sometimes Episcopalians are called "Catholic Light". Not an insult, just a little joke I guess.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• The Episcopalians are the same as the Anglican church in England. They were formed when the Pope wouldn't let one of the English kings divorce (can't remember which one, hopefully some of our smarter friends will know) so he went off and formed the Anglican church. So they are much like the Catholic church but without the prayers to Mary and the saints and without a pope.

I do love the look of the old style churches.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• So much for the vows of poverty they take huh? all ornate and gold and stained glass? Do you really think God ONLY comes into churches that are pricey and flashy? Or perhaps he only goes to churches that are humble and simple with bible believing, bible teaching folks in them? Makes ya wonder.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• teamquinn, if I remember correctly, it was King Henry VIII who wanted Pope Clement VII to declare his marriage to his wife Catherine of Aragon invalid, so that he could marry Anne Boleyn (one of his wife's ladies-in-waiting).
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 5:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• "So much for the vows of poverty they take huh? all ornate and gold and stained glass? Do you really think God ONLY comes into churches that are pricey and flashy? Or perhaps he only goes to churches that are humble and simple with bible believing, bible teaching folks in them? Makes ya wonder."

Perhaps a "church" is a "church" whether it's somebody's living-room and 4 people are there together praising Him, or it's a huge ornate cathedral where there are hundreds of people worshiping Him..."For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:20)
    Anonymous

• who takes vows of poverty? other than some orders of monks? i'm dumb on this one.

there is one episcopal church in our town that has the original building, w/additions. so its a mix of old-world cathedral/modern brick. the other two episcopal churches are 'modern', with brick, and a lot less stained-glass windows. st johns isn't so much ornate, as it is old-world. there are fabulous stained-glass windows, depicting various gospels/stories; those would be where the money is, in the windows. otherwise, its simply old. very pretty, nonetheless.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 6:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Vow of poverty is more of not owning worldly possessions and does not apply to the building/church. Before you put down the religion learn about it it will keep you from looking stupid.
    Anonymous

• Wasn't it Henry...ahhh...the V? Or the VIII? One of the Henrys, I think.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2009