So... what do you do when your almost 2 year old is big enough to get over the child gates?

MythicMMM

Asked by MythicMMM at 5:16 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• what are you trying to block off? my daughter figured out how to get over all the gates by the time she was 2, she still gets a gate on her door at night, but thats only b/c if she knocks it over or climbs over it i hear her better than if she just opens a door and walks out of her room. but the best thing i can tell you, is to keep the gate there, maybe put it a few inches off the ground, and just keep an eye when your child is there, and to be much more strict in enforcing he/she can't go into that area.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Take them down so the child doesn't get hurt. You can child proof the home and put things up high enough so the child cannot reach them. Most of all keep an eye on the child.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• They make really tall child gates these days, Ive seen them in stores.Or you can install a door frame and put up a half foor to keep the toddler out of parts of the house.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• We have tension gates. When my DD started being able to get her leg up we raised the gate up off of the floor by about 3 inches. To high to get over to low to go under. If you try this watch him for a while first before leaving sight to make sure that works for you and he doesn't pull it down or something.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I raised it from the floor, then I gave up when he figured out how to crawl under and push it off the door. Time to start teaching him where not to go.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 9:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• With my youngest we stopped needing gates at about 18 months. By then she knew how to safely walk up and down the stairs on her own. I think, with all of my kids, we were done with gates by 2. The only one we still had was for our patio door in the kitchen because there is no deck out there. It just drops like 4 1/2 feet to the ground below. But our youngest is 3 now and this summer we barely used it. She learned to just no go near the door and to definitely not lean against he screen (as drilled home by my dad the other day. He was tossing the trash out the door and leaned against the screen and it completely popped out and he almost fell).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Take them down. I never had babygates up, even on the basement stairs and my son learned how to stay away and never got hurt.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• An almost 2 year old is old enough to learn what not to touch...anything too dangerous or expensive- move to higher ground.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:45 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Depends on where you are trying to keep them. with my son, I use positive reinforcement to keep him in the room I am cleaning in or whatever, and if he down right refuses, then he goes in time out. However, for bedtime, I use a hook/eye latch on his door. Because it is a MAJOR safety issue for him to get up without my knowledge. Works out just fine.
    Anonymous

• You raise them up - get them far enough off the floor that they can't climb over but not far enough that they can slither under.
    Anonymous