Were you spanked growing up?

Do you think you are better or worse for it?

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 5:17 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• sometimes..i think it was fine. I knew my parents meant business and i only got spanked if I acted in a way i knew i wasnt supposed to. Im glad my parents cared enough to make me mind and kept me safe. It wasnt their only form of punishment and we did alot together..but I dont think spanking hurt me at all.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• No.
    My parents knew how to parent us, and yes - we are better for it.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Oh, I was spanked, but it was definitely not the spanking that screwed me up. lol

Anonymous

• I was spanked very rarely... the punishment that worked best for me was a stern talking to. But my brother was spanked mercilessly because that's the only thing that worked for him.

I don't think I'm better or worse for it... I probably would have turned out exactly the same either way. I do think that spanking is not the right punishment for the majority of kids. And it should be used as a last resort when it IS required. But I don't think it's abuse or anything.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My mom was a disciplinarian and I LOVE her for it! I was so afraid to make her mad that I just kept my crap together. All of my friends were doing pot, meth, getting wasted and sleeping around but not me! I was so scared of what my mom would do if she found out that I only lost my virginity right before I turned 18 and my dabbling into marijuana lasted less than a month and I never tried any of the hard stuff.
    She didn't just beat us all the time or anything but when we got out of line, we knew we were SOL. I hated her for the longest time cuz she was "ruining my life." But it turns out that she made it to where we would know how not to ruin it ourselves! 5 kids and ALL of us turned out to be pretty good people! No drug abuse, violence, jail time or alcoholism for any of us.
    But that's just my story and I also got love from her too, some may have just gotten spanked with no talks or love and may have a bad outlook.
    teardrop_7060

Answer by teardrop_7060 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I got spanked and I got slapped in the face and got my hair pulled and called bad names. I don't think the spankings really caused damage buy the other stuff did and I feel like it has made me a better person, because I really have to think about how I want to raise my children and what I shouldn't do to them I always try to be more patient and think about how I discipline. If I get really mad it's harder to control so I have to always be aware of my response to their behavior.

Anonymous

• Yes I was spanked. It didn't ruin my life. I have a good job, great kids and a great SO. I hardly even think about it, just when people ask! But there is a difference between spanking and beating. I got spanked on my butt when I did something wrong. Not across the face or upside the head or anywhere else on my body. I loved my mom then and I love her now.
    Anonymous

• When my siblings and I deserved it, you BET we were severely spanked and I at least came out fine and think I am a better person for the discipline I got growing up.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Yes, but I think that was less of a factor than my mom's inconsistancy. She was a reactionary parent. She didn't think about how she raised us she just reacted and we knew how to play her.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Yes I was spanked. I only remember a handful of times that I was spanked, though. For me, I was afraid of the look of disappointment on my parents face. So I was a good girl. But being spanked didn't ruin me or my life.

My kids are spanked, and my DD recently told me that I hurt her. It hurts her when I spank her and it hurts her when I put her in time out. She doesn't differientiate between the two. She just knows that when she's in trouble, it hurts.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 6, 2009