Dyeing a white shirt to black

I dyed a white shirt with an entire bottle of black Rit Dye. It came out a very dark grey. Should I bother dyeing the shirt again?

redmoonintexas

Asked by redmoonintexas at 5:17 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• did you prep it first with soda ash? (i used to tie dye for a local head shop, and had to learn about soda ash the hard way- after ruining a few shirts)

if not, you can still do it- you'll find it with the powdered dyes in any craft store. follow the package directions. it primes the fabric to accept the pigment, and helps set it, so it won't bleed out and fade later.
    also, if you used LIQUID dye, don't purchase it again, it is a convenience item, in that you are less likely to have a mess with a liquid than a powder, which can go airborne. it is nowhere near as concentrated as powder. use TWO pouches of powdered dye, and the minimum amount of water, use very hot, preferably boiling water- this can be done in your washer, so that cleanup is easy. you can bleach the washer when you're done.

i'm guessing that this is not a normal t-shirt, or you wouldn't go out of your way. if you try again, that ought to work.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• i wouldn't, i'd just buy a black shirt!

but if its important to you go ahead
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Whoops! I should have been more specific.

It's for my 6 month old. I cannot find a plain black shirt in my area craft stores, so resorted to (what I thought was) the most logical solution
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 5:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• You have to follow the directions on RIT dye or you get a much lighter color. Some RIT dyes you have to boil the item in a pot with the dye, others have to sit in the dye for a few hours to days depending on the color. Also the type of material it is made from may not take a full black color. Read the label and try again.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:39 PM on Oct. 6, 2009