They told me not to be concerned, so why am I still worrying??

I am 36weeks 3days & I had my 6th ultrasound today (yes, I know that's a lot - but I've had some issues with my pregnancy). Anyways, today they said that everything looked great - except for the fact that my fluids are low, my blood pressure is elevated, & the cord is wrapped around his neck. Now, after all these "findings" they told me it is no need for concern & that everything was fine. However, they have also suggested I have at least 2 NSTs a week from now on, maybe even 3 just to keep an eye on things. They also want me in again next week for ANOTHER ultrasound. If everything is fine, why do they seem to want so much observation? I'm pretty worried. I know, it's normal to be worried as a first time mom...but it all just sounds so scary! Any advice?? Am I just overreacting? Should their be cause for worry, or are the doctors just being cautious??

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 5:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• as for the cord around his/her neck... its NO biggy at all. Both my kids had their cords around their neck and were born JUST fine:) It may cause a little fetal heartbeat deceleration while you are pushing but that should be about it. Now for your BP... DONT stress and keep drinking the fluids and relax and it should be ok.

Another mommy posted that 38 weeks is full term. She is incorrect... 37 week is. So at any point now if you were needing an induction due to potential harm to the baby then you and the baby should be FINE:) Hang in there and try to take the doc's advice to not stress and just be thankful that you have a doc that cares enough about you and your unborn child to take all the procausionary measures that he/she can
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• It's the low fluid. Low fluid is a cause for some minor concern. The cord around your baby's neck is not, though. 1 in 3 babies has that, it's REALLY common. And the blood pressure can be controlled. Overhaul your diet. This diet kept me from getting pre-eclampsia, I swear by it.

www.blueribbonbaby.org

Don't stress mommy, it's gonna be okay :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• because thats what moms do. 38 weeks is full term, so if anything where to happen w/the cord or your blood pressure being too high, than you could deliver now, (preferably 38 weeks obviously) if need be and have what should be a healthy baby. i'm sure if your doctor thought there were precautions etc you needed to take than they'd let you know. be happy they are keeping an eye on it and making sure you and your baby are healthy. and don't be afraid to ask questions of your doctor, sit down before an appointment and write down all your concerns, your questions about the fluids, cord and blood pressure that way you don't forget to ask something. and ask that is what your doctor is there for to tell you what you need to know.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• You pay them to be concerned for you so you can relax and let the doctors worry for you.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• you're super lucky your doctors are giving you this kind of care

i could have all those things and not know- my doctor hasn't done anything and i'm 35 weeks.

then again my insurance is welfare insurance, so that's probably why- he's got an overload of patients

you'll be fine!
    Anonymous

• anon :32, its common for doctors to not do anything except check your BP, weight, uterus measurement and fetal heartbeat at 35 weeks. So if you doc is doing that, they are doing their job!! If your fluid were low, you would probably be measuring small, if you are measuring well then there would be no concern for an u/s at 35 weeks (assuming you are not high risk)

OP... I know its so much easier to say when I am NOT the one in your situation but try to stay calm and relaxed. Stress WILL raise your BP and that is not good for you or your baby. The low fluid level is most likely why they are wanting the NST. Drink LOTS of water between now and your next u/s becuase dehydration will cause your fluid level to drop becuase the baby wont be getting enough fluid therefore he/she would be peeing enough. They measure it in levels that are fairly specific... if it were low enough, they would have induced today. ... continued
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2009