Dating a MUCH older man, your thoughts?

I am 28 and have just started dating a man that is 47. I have never dated anyone more than 3 or 4 years older than me before, and just wondering is it a good idea or not?
I like him a lot, he has been in the military for 20 years now, has a great personality. He does have 2 daughters that are just one year and 2 years younger than me, so that is a bit ackward. When I told my sister she freaked out and said I needed to stick with someone my own age. I don't know, what are your opinions on dating someone so much older? Has anyone done it before? pros and cons?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• My hubby is only 6 days under 16 years older than me. I wouldn't have it any other way. We communicate very well and we just "fit" each other. We've been together for 5 years now and have 3 children total (one from my previous relationship). He didn't have any children when we met so I've never had to deal with any issues that could cause but the age difference has never been a problem. You just have to be completely open about the things you want and your goals and everything if you think you want to take it to a more serious level. There are a couple of groups here for women who are with older men (I own one) and you might want to check one of them out :-)
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 6:02 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• When I was 24, I dated several much older guys. I was more interested, and surprisingly had a lot more in common with them. ( A lot had to do with our circle of friends).
    It really depends on how much you have in common etc.

Anonymous

• I never have but I know a few who have. I think once we're adults, we're adults end of story. It's not like you're 18 with no life experience, however, I think you have to evaluate what you both want out of life. You and he may have to give things up depending on the other's stage in life. He already has kids which may mean he doesn't want to raise any more. If you don't, well then it's fine. What happens if you get married and he gets sick, becomes disabled, etc. Would you be willing to deal with it? A woman I know married a much older man who is now disabled. She works to support him everyday. It's sad but it's a reality when you have such a big age difference. These are things to consider.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Well, its not as if your a teenager dating an older man. I think if he makes you happy you should go for it!
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Just think... when he was 21 and drinking in the bars... you were 2 and probably learning how to use the potty by yourself... awe.

Whatever makes you happy... dont change what you feel is right for anyone else... this is YOUR life.

GL
    Anonymous

• Well the only thing have to say. Is if you plan on making this a marriage. He is 47. 10 years 57, 20 years67. You will only be 38 and 48.
    If your happy knowing your marrying an old man. Go ahead, more power to ya.

Answer by louise2 at 6:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My daughter and son inlaw are 30 yrs apart and they are happy.... Do things that make you happy because one day your going to wake up and ask your self what if question and then it will be to late. Don't let love pass you by.
    paurad

Answer by paurad at 6:51 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• He only wants one thing and only for a short time then he'll be done with you. If that is ok with you then go for it. He's not going to marry someone the same age as his kids. Military men don't like being laughed at & his friends & family would laugh
    Anonymous

• Age does not have any thing to do with t after your 18 follow your heart some people don't understand the powerful thing called LOVE,
    the old man dig is not true they are wiser and they know how to treat a woman, and wo says that he will die before you. My son died before me.So one never knows.You only live once.Be happy! Good luck.
    paurad

Answer by paurad at 7:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• "He only wants one thing and only for a short time then he'll be done with you. If that is ok with you then go for it. He's not going to marry someone the same age as his kids. Military men don't like being laughed at & his friends & family would laugh"

LOL, jaded much?
    Anonymous