need words of encouragement...

I'm a sahm with 3 boys- 9, 7 &3. DH is gone M-F for business, every week. DH & I speak French to our boys. Older two go to public school in English but were allowed in pre-K ESOL (English as 2nd language) because we speak French in the house. DS#3 will be tested in April to see if his English is "bad enough" that he also requires pre-K ESOL - completely free, at school, through the school system, 5 times a week, either AM or PM. DS#3 doesn't go do preschool because I don't want his English to be too good, but the school district says that "if a language other than English is spoken at home" is the qualification for PreK ESOL... All that to say that I need a break, if only to go to the dentist, without having to ask a friend to watch my kid, so was thinking of sending him 1 day a week, when I e-mailed DH with the idea he said "I'll take a few days off at Thanksgiving so you can go at the dentist", that is still not helping me..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• I get you Momma and I applaud your efforts! Dont bash the poster unless you know HOW much $$ it costs to get English lessons as a 2nd language. It's pricey! My Hubby is Italian, We speak it at home, I also speak German and 2 dialects of Swiss plus Spanish. Most of you I'll wager, Spanish speakers excluded, most likely speak only English. MOST European kids by age 10 speak 3 other languages besides their native one. And WE Americans WONDER why were SO far behind other nations in education?  Poster:  {hugs}} to you dear.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• You keep your children from speaking english very well so that they can go to pre-k for free???
    Anonymous

• That's kinda what I got stuck on too. I don't get it.
    Anonymous

• Where do you live?

Answer by louise2 at 6:36 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• for the first two posters, I am part of a group of sahm and ds plays with other kids and I speak English just fine and when we are out and about, it is English most of the time, or bilingual, but I'm afraid that if his English is too good, even though the criteria is not based on that, he won't get in the system, and it is great, not only is it free, but also, it is a head start for K. I needed your support because of the way my husband reacted, offering me maybe half a day at the end of November... I'm tired, I've been taking care of all three kids pretty much alone for the last two years. I need a break and he didn't hear my plea... That's why I needed kind words tonight...

Thank you vbruno for your post! It helps!

and Louise2, I don't understand what it changes where I live... I'm in Texas, that's all I'll say
    Anonymous

• i am sure your kid will luv you 4 not teaching him good english when kids laugh at him. that's just sad
    Anonymous

• So you want to not teach your son to speak English well so you can have some "me" time? Why'd you have him in the first place if you didn't want to stay home with him? I'm sure your dh's schedule showed you what to expect so you knew what you were doing. Kids can learn to speak English well by listening. So why send him to take lessons and not just teach him yourself?
    Anonymous

• parenting is not an easy job but you shouldn't have the parenting done by others. we all need a break i would suggest you get a baby sitter to help with your kids if need be. i think it's important that your child speak the native language one cause he needs to talk with other kids and your hurting his self esteem by holding him back from talking the language. kids might make fun of his weird language cause they might think it's weird. they won't play or talk with him at pre-k maybe. i wouldn't chance it. my daughter has not talked much and is in pre k for speach therapy. not cause of what i did to hold her back cause i didn't but cause of whatever. your abusing the system and taking money or resources away from the kids that really need the help. you know they are limited and state or fed income. so if just talking to him in english will help then in the best interest of your child you do so. also i would rethink a new man.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I came from a bilingual household Italian/English. Not only did I do better when I learned a foreign language in school such as French; it also made me advance in English much faster than other students.Too bad it doesn't work for math. I also think it is great what you are doing. My hubby is the same way, I hear you and unfortunately men can be stubborn. GL to you . really
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I can clearly see the close mindness of Americans with your answers. I was asking for words of encouragement, not things such as "i am sure your kid will luv you 4 not teaching him good english when kids laugh at him. that's just sad " and "So you want to not teach your son to speak English well so you can have some "me" time? Why'd you have him in the first place if you didn't want to stay home with him? I'm sure your dh's schedule showed you what to expect so you knew what you were doing. Kids can learn to speak English well by listening. So why send him to take lessons and not just teach him yourself? "
    Guess what, I have THREE KIDS, not just one to look after and I've never sent the other to daycare either and BTW, both older kids 2nd & 4th grade are straight A students, so me not correcting them when they were making mistakes in English didn't make their English bad.... next post
    Anonymous