Return to breastmilk?

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible for me to start producing breastmilk again after not having expressed it in a little over a month. I was sick for a little while and switched my little one to formula. Now I really want to give him breastmilk again but was wondering if it might be too late. Anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not too late. You have breasts? Then you can do it. Will it be easy? Maybe not. First, will your baby latch on? If so, that's a great start, but if not, pump, like, every 2 hrs to start. Look into an SNS method of feeding to stimulate production.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I have heard of something called mothers milk tea.......I don't really know much about it though
    Anonymous

• I would strongly advise you to contact your local La Leche League Leader (www.llli.org) or an IBCLC (lactation specialist), simply to get help and support. Relactation is possible, and as it hasn't been that long, you may find it goes without much difficulty. But definitely get yourself some support and help - La Leche League is free, and Leaders are well trained and experienced moms.

I've known several moms who relactated, including one friend who was able to breastfeed a child they adopted - 8 years after her last child weaned. It may take some work, but it's definitely worth it!
    Anonymous

• I would say pump to try it out. I dont see why you wouldnt be able to. Also look into getting a shield it will make the transition easier between bottle and human nipple. It will help your baby to latch on as well. :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2009