If you vaccinate?

Do you feel that people who don't are putting their kids at risk? I read that as the number of unvaccinated children grow, the threat to the community grows as well, even posing a threat to our vaccinated children. Do you allow your kids to play with kids that are not vaccinated?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Health

• I might not always know which kids are vaccinated and which aren't, but I probably would avoid playdates with unvaccinated children if I knew about it. I do feel that non-vaccinaters in general are putting the community as a whole at risk, and it does bother me that they don't understand this.
    Anonymous

• i do feel that as a total children who are not vaccinated pose a higher health threat to the overall community, if it were just one or two kids it wouldn't be so hard, but those viruses that children are vax'd against do still exist, so those children run the risk of getting that disease, and therefore passing it along to others. i have read the same studies that show that those do pose higher risks for others who have been vaccinated. as for do i allow my children to play w/those who aren't vax'd, yes in the long run there is no preventing them being in contact with them. it hasn't been an issue yet, b/c all my friends have their children vax'd but she goes to speech therapy w/other children, when she starts sports etc...i'm sure there will be children that aren't vax'd i just have to hope that the vax she received as a child and later in life will protect her
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• its a personal choice i would not tell my kids they couldnt play with some one does not have there vacs if my kids have there shots then why would i be worried about them getting a serious illness. most of the shots that kids get the diseases have been gone for many years but for me i would rather be safe than sorry but its not for every parent. i waited to get my son the mmr shot till he was 2 instead of getting it at 1 and he was fine and so were the kids he was around
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• op here- what I mean about allowing your children to play with unvaccinated children (is knowing that they are not )- we have a friend that does not vaccinate her children and they have even been over seas, my husband thinks that our family should not be around them
    Anonymous

• We have modern meds to treat most diseases that we have vaccines for. I think playing with them is fine. Now if half the USA quit vaccinating, that might be a problem.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I don't go around asking if kids have been vaxxed or not. My kids do not play with anyone who is sick. Yes the kids that are not are more at risk for getting infected and they are posing a greater risk within the community. That said it is still a choice for parents to make.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• You're husband clearly does not trust that his precious vaccines will protect his children.

No. Unvaccinated kids are no threat to anyone.

Infact, did you know that ALL cases of polio - worldwide for the last 50 years were in VACCINATED people - who contacted the virus from the vaccine itself?

Your husband, and anyone who agrees with him had backwards logic, and very little understanding of vaccines themselves.
    Anonymous

• I do not know anyone personally that doesn't vaccinate so I have never really thought about it.But if I were I dont think it would be a problem because my child is vaccinated so they should be ok and vaccinated or not as long as they are not sick I dont see a problem.These diseases we vaccinate our kids for are bad and you would know if the child had something like that so nope no issue with me.
    tomsbrandi

Answer by tomsbrandi at 7:12 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Most people that don't vaccinate don't object to the idea of vaccination. They object to the toxic chemicals in the vaccines. Tell the government you want "green" vaccines if you want the whole country to vaccinate.
    Anonymous

• Don't you trust your vaccines?? If you vaccinate why wouldn't you allow your child to play with an un-vaccinated child? If the vaccines work correctly like you all are saying, then won't your child be fine? Ohhhh...that's right...they DON'T work correctly.

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2009