What do you think a family/woman on PA is supposed to look and act like?

I've seen a lot of comments where people get ridiculed for using food stamps on pizza, being on PA and having fake nails, or... wearing really nice clothes. Etc, etc.
What are they supposed to act and look like? What do you think they have to properly convey?

Not looking to start an argument, but I'm seriously curious as to your opinions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• thats hard to say because even if your on some sort of pa you could have nice clothes prior to needing assistance or even buy them at sales or recieve them as gifts. i think most people automatically think of the welfare momma image when they hear pa. jmo
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 7:02 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I don't feel that a person on PA has to dress down or be trashy, which is what I have seen others imply about being on PA. Ya never know, she may have bought the cloths before hitting a rough spot, she could have bought them second hand or they could have been given to her. Also we have discount stores in my area where I buy name brand cloths for really cheap. Like the TH jeans I just bought my boys for $3 a pair. Also, I have a friend that is on PA. She is a great mother and a wonderful person who just hit a rough patch after her husband decided he did not want a family anymore. She receives PA and she works. She gets her nails and hair done because her, myself, and a small group of close friends go once a month to have our hair and nails done. Those of us who can afford to, pitch in to pay to have her hair and nails done. She is a terrific person and deserves it. You can't judge without facts.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 7:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I get food stamps and I buy Pizza. I work a full time job and I have 2 children. Sometimes I need a night off too. I don't spend all my food stamps on things like pizza and junk but every once in awhile I just need one of those nights where I can come home after a long day of work, pop a pizza in the oven, and relax with my children. Without having to worry about cooking dinner or washing a pile of dishes. I deserve a relaxing evening just as much as the woman that bought a pizza with cash. I work, I am a mother, I have the same stresses, and I deserve the same treatment. I am not ashamed of needing help until I run across someone who feels they have the right to look down on me. And before anyone decides to tell me that I should cut my internet service to buy food, my mother pays for the internet because I am also a student. My courses are online and I am trying to get a better job for my children and myself.
    Anonymous

• According to some people on cafemom, you need to dress in ratty clothing, never buy anything nice for yourself or your kids and make damn sure you don't buy anything that's not healthy with your foodstamps or drive a car that actually works. If you do you're wasting their precious taxdollars.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• that's not my opinion at all btw.. people who have the mentality that i described disgust me.
    tnm786

• I'm on assistance working while my SO is working 2 jobs. We have nice clothing. we buy them now too. We just find CHEAP prices and places. You shouldn't have to make yourself look trashy just because your on assistance. It's a stepping stone to help you get back on your feet.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Well, fake nails require bi-weekly upkeep. If you can afford to have your nails done every two weeks, you probably don't need PA, or your priorities are really messed up.

When I'm broke I don't get my nails done, I don't go get my hair done. It's very disturbing to walk into the Food Stamp office and see women and children decked out in name brand clothing with acrylic nails and driving cars less than 5 years old.
    Anonymous

• I'm on PA. I work full time and part time, and my hubby works full time and we still can't get by.
    loupsgarou333

Answer by loupsgarou333 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Also, you don't have to "get your nails done" to have fake nails. I buy mine for $1-$3 from the dollar store and they come out looking professionally done. I also do my own hair and get nice clothes from thrift stores.
    loupsgarou333

Answer by loupsgarou333 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• It's unfortunate but you can judge the book by it's cover. The cover should reflect it's lack of or else you are as much to blame for giving that appearances. 

Anonymous