My daughter is in high school, but should I make take SAT Class? What are your kids doing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• yes u should because it really does help ALOT when applying for colleges and can help her get into a really good school
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 7:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• She should definitely take it in 11th grade so that she can have a second chance in her senior year if she doesn't do so well. Also, a study course is useful so that she's familiar with the test and isn't so nervous taking it.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Depends if her problems lie more with her test taking skills or with the academics and what that course will be teaching her. If she's a nervous tester, then by all means she should regardless.

I took the ACT, because most of the midwest colleges at the time took that over the SAT's. I took it only once at the end of my junior year and scored high enough to get into all of the colleges I was looking at, so I didn't bother taking it again.

Still, I did take a class in high school on "studying" which was a complete waste of my time. I never studied for anything (well barely anything) because if I did then I would over think it and actually do worse. Also because my handwritting was so bad while taking notes I never bothered to read them, so why learn how to take them? What does she think about taking the course? She will know if it is a waste of time or money if you are paying for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Absolutely! The higher her score, the more options she will have for college and the more scholarship money will be available to her.

The high school my daughter attends has prep classes for both the SAT and ACT; they run about $30/each.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:37 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Also go to the SAT and ACT sites and sign up for word of the day etc.They also offer practice tests.My oldest is a great test taker .He took the site and book tests scored very well so we didn't sign him up and he did fantastic .Same with LSATs.My daughter does very well in school with her grades but is not a standardized test taker and benefited greatly from the SAT and ACT classes.Children can be different.Have two more and will wait and see.Good luck.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 10:32 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I suggest she take the SAT and ACT... see which she does better on. I believe she can take it a couple of times and use the best scores. We have a freshman and she is starting this year with the practice tests. It is much harder to get into college now and they need all the advantages they can get.
    Anonymous

• The classes can really help to increase her score. But the class doesn't work without her studying the material also, so you'd take the risk of wasting your money if you make her take the class and she doesn't want to do the work. She could also study on her own with test prep workbooks you can get at a bookstore, the class just provides a helpful structured support for the study the material and learning the techniques. My DD knows that we have $x saved for her college. If she gets scholarships, her $x will have a higher likelihood of lasting into grad school/professional school, so it's in her best interest to max out her chances for scholarships, but it's up to her. I can't force her to study, just help her to see the pros/cons and consequences of her choices.
    annie2244

Answer by annie2244 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• my daughter is 17 yrs. old and she fixin to take her sat in dec. 12. she want to go to college to take up nursing. i told her go ahead. she doing real good in high school. i'm very proud of her.
    michellelwtn249

Answer by michellelwtn249 at 1:24 AM on Dec. 3, 2009

• Knewton SAT Prep has some free online resources. The full online course is just $290. Plus, the course guarantees 150 points higher on the SAT or your money back.

KnewtonSAT

Answer by KnewtonSAT at 9:31 AM on Mar. 3, 2010