Maternity Ward Tour - To go, or not to go?

This is my first baby & I am currently 36weeks 3days pregnant. I haven't gone on a Maternity Ward Tour yet, but am wondering if I should even bother. The reason I am even considering not going is due to tight budgeting & financials. My hospital is about a half hour away, & with my increase in doctor visits (I have about 3 appointments a week now due to complications) I want to make sure I have gas for all my appointments & to get to the hospital when the time comes. Is the tour really something I should take, or is it something that can be skipped? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'd just like some opinions on the matter...

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 7:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• for me it is very very important to know what kind of policies the hospital has, whether or not they will let me move, let me get in the tub, let me birth in whatever position i feel like. but now that you are 37 weeks already, it would probably be really difficult for you to switch anyway... i would just talk to your OB/midwife about what to expect there. they will know. :)
    Anonymous

• I say do whatever is best for you and your situation..i however went before i even chose a doctor just to make sure everything was up to par and see how they handled their patients and stuff...but its up to you im not so sure its necessary...good luck
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 7:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• usually you would go if you are trying to decide what hospital to deliver at.. if you don't have any other options than that one hospital, i would not bother to go
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I did not go, I just had my first 5 months ago and I thought about taking the tour but just ran out of time. Honestly, once you get in the hospital they tell you where to go and then once your admitted you are wheeled around where you need to be so I don't think it made any difference for me, IMO. Not a stupid question at all. Good luck Mama.
    Colie68

Answer by Colie68 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Hey, this is strictly up to you~!
    If you would like one, maybe you can schedule the two things on the same day. Doc appt first, then maternity ward tour, or vice versa. If you can't, and you feel like it's really not necessary, then.. it's not! You can also ask the office if they have a detailed map of the maternity ward or whatnot - our OB office supplied us with one. It kind of looked like a blue print, showing what was on the 1st, 2nd, etc etc floor. It does come in handy for dad, especially, if you have a long labor, so he can wander out to get some food, or ... wherever he needs to go without having to memorize directions - especially if they're really winding ones.
    I personally want a tour, mainly because I had preterm labor - and want to get a total feel of what's all in the ward and for my hubby especially, since he'll be doing most of the wandering.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 7:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I didn't take one, and honestly i wasn't up gallivanting around the hospital after i had my baby. i was in my room spending time with her and my family. when i did walk afterwards (i had a c section and its good to walk) i had a nurse with me to help me walk that walked me around and showed me where everything was in the maternity ward. i didn't go though, i walked once or twice a day and just went up and down the hall by my door.

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Tours are generally just to answer questions you may have and let you see around, help you feel more comfortable. They aren't necessary or mandatory. I wouldn't be bothered unless you have doubts about the hospital. One less thing you have to try to work into your last few hectic weeks of pregnancy. Relax as much as possible now while you can. Good luck and congratulations!
    edcmyangels

Answer by edcmyangels at 7:48 PM on Oct. 6, 2009