what would you say to teacher or don't say anything??

My child goes to a daycare pre k there is a boy in there that is the "bad" kid he does not do anything the other children have to do like sit on the rug and sing songs he sits at the play center or sits at table and at nap time he does the same thing and the teachers tell all the parents he just will not lay down i know b/c i volunteered a time or two i always ask my child did you take a nap today and she always says no b/c michael was up doing _____ he was making to much noise......even if the child is sitting at the table doing nothing i still think it is disturbing the other children should i say something to her teacher?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Of course you should say something.
    Anonymous

• I'm sure the teachers are well aware but the reality is there isnt really a whole lot they can do. They cant actually physically touch him and make him stay on a cot or sit on the floor etc. They could however suspend him forcing his parents to take some disciplinary action or perhaps address a greater issue at hand (possibly asperbergers autism or even adhd) I would tell the center you are concerned about the structure of teh day being disrupted by this child (a structure you pay good money fro btw) ask them to address the issue and if it can't be addressed consider taking your child to center with stricter policies or even hiring a nanny or sitter to come in and watch your child.
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• no, some kids just are not comfortable sleeping there. i remember when i was in kinder, i hated nap time and they always allowed to me to just hang out with the teacher while the other kids were napping i would cry and get scared.

mind your own business
    Anonymous

• I was a preschool teacher and yes the teachers are aloud to touch the kids. If he wont sleep, then they need to give him alternative activities such as reading a book or helping the teacher prepare the art projects. I would tell the director not the teacher.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• well my child HATES naptime she begs not to go to school b/c of it but just b/c she hates it does not mean oh she don't have to do it she would LOVE to help teacher instead of napping what child wouldnt him being up doing stuff is what keeps her up watching him and if they don't close their eyes the whole time they don't get a sticker at the end of the day

OP
    Anonymous

• so this child doesn' t fit into the cookie cutter? Oh the horror.....

Anonymous

• In Wisconsin ever child under the age of 5 must have 30 minutes of rest time. They need to lay down and if they don't fall asleep after 30 minutes they can either sit on their cot/mat with a book or puzzle or sit at a table with quiet activties. A teacher can NOT force a child to sleep. If the child is so disturbing that the other kids are not sleeping, he needs to be removed to another room or the teachers need to do quiet activities with him. Go to the director and voice your concerns.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I CAN understand your concern if your kid can't nap and needs one, because this other little brat is being difficult. It is up to the teacher to redirect that problem kid into some other quiet activity. I would say something if you're concerned your child is not getting to rest. You have as much right as anyone.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:48 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• jeanclaudia there is NO reason to be calling this kid a brat when you don't know why the teachers are allowing him to be up and about during nap time and other times.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My son is a "difficult" child. He has his own mind, and tries to do what he wants when he wants. He will accept alternatives, but the more you force him to do something the less he wants to do it. He doesn't like other children, and would rather be playing by himself- so effectively my child is the "trouble" child. If he is sitting, quietly, doing his own thing he can't really "disturb" the other children. Would you rather them force him to take a nap and kick and scream the whole time? If it's that much of a problem, talk to the teacher about it, maybe they can put him in another room during nap time.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 1:28 AM on Oct. 7, 2009