Is my 6 month old over eating?

My DS is 6 months old, When he eats I will give him one of the stage 2 gerber meals usually and he will eat the whole jar, and still be hungry then he will eat a whole jar of stage 2 fruit and will usually drink anywhere from 4-6 oz of juice or milk(formula). He will eat the baby food anywhere from 2 to 3 times a day. He will also take 5-6 8oz bottles of milk(formula) or milk and some kind of cereal during the day and about 2 bottles of milk in the middle of the night.
Do you think he is over eating. I just don't want him to be hungry, but I also don't want him being over weight.
Think it is okay or too much? Any other suggestions of what I could do?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think he's overeating. He's probably going through a growth spurt. I thought my son was chunky up until he was 3 and now he's string beaning out. Everyone tells me how he's tall and thin now.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• If he's not puking, he's not overeating.

At 6 months, mine were taking two stage 2 jars per meal, three times a day, with 8oz of formula. They had two snacks of some finger foods and 4oz of juice/water mixed, and another 10oz of formula about an hour before bed. We were also introducing table foods, so there was that at meals as well.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:58 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• First, does your doctor think he is overweight? Unless your doctor has concerns, don't be worried about it. My firstborn had/has an ENORMOUS appetite. He ate as much as an adult at 10 months!! People were amazed that he could empty a full plate of food! He is skinny and grows all the time! He must have a great metabolism. Every child is different, so as long as your doctor hasn't been concerned about his weight, don't worry! Just keep feeding him healthy foods and maybe cut back on the juice. I have heard juice isn't really that great for them and if you can get him used to water, that would be better. My kids all love water and juice is an occasional treat!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Try cutting the juice out of his diet for now, he really doesn't need it. It's full of sugar anyways. Just mainly feed him vegetables and formula. Maybe 1 or 2 fruits a day. It does sound like he might be eating more than he should.
    Anonymous

• i would say so. at 6 months they don't even need food, some start food at 6 months. at 6 months my son was eating cereal and a 6oz bottle at breakfast, 8oz bottle for lunch, then cereal and 6oz bottle for dinner, and sometimes a bottle right before bed. (i had him sleeping through the night by then) With my dd i did a little more research so i didn't even start her eating food until she was about 8months, so she had an 8oz bottle for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and right before bed. i also had her sleeping through the night at 6 months. If you feed them too much when they're little, they're more likely to become obese when they're older. the studies say to keep them eating on a schedule, don't just give them food randomly. keep it at the same time every day, so their body gets used to it.
    Anonymous