At what age did you let your LO sleep on their stomach?

K_Sawyer

Asked by K_Sawyer at 7:58 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• when she rolled on her stomach by herself. always put to bed on back but let her roll herself over if that's what she wanted.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:03 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• birth
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:31 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• To be fair, when my kids were born there wasn't a big "fear" of kids sleeping on their bellies. My kids slept well and safely on their bellies. Most kids in the world sleep well on their bellies. It is only in the US of the fearful that we don't let our children sleep where they are the most comfortable.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Jesse in many countries babies sleep with their parents to protect them from SIDS. Co-sleeping regulates baby's breathing with mom's. Babies who sleep on their stomachs fall into a deeper sleep and it's thought that they forget to breath. If they are sleeping on their stomach while co-sleeping it helps keep them breathing.

MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• With my first two I believe it was when they could roll over on their own. With my twins, the NICU spoiled them by letting them sleep on their tummies. They told me it was alright because they (the Nurses) were there to watch them. It spoiled them! They HATED being on their backs, car seats, swings, bed, it didn't matter they HATED being on their backs. I finally gave in and let them sleep on their tummies after a couple of days. They never had any problems sleeping on their tummies.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:46 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My son was in the NICU as well - for 2 and a half months, they too let him sleep on his stomach. It was because he was hooked up to monitors, so they said it was safe, plus, nurses were everywhere 24/7. At least 2 in his wing.
    Luckily, it never spoiled him, but now that he's much older, he sleeps in that same position. Kind of in a fetal position, on his stomach, it's weird. lol
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 8:56 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• When they could roll over on their own is when they slept on their bellies. That is how my boys sleep. The funny thing is, when i was a baby my mom was told to put me on my belly. Back then it was believed babies would drown in their spit up if placed on their backs.
    Anonymous

• Since she was about eight weeks old. I tell ya, it was HELL for the first two months of her life. She just would NOT sleep on her back for more than half an hour. I finally gave in one day when she took a nap on her stomach. She slept for nearly four hours that nap, solid as a rock. I was like holy crap! That was the answer to our problems. She didn't like sleeping on her back, it startled her too easily. So from that point on, she was put to sleep on her belly. Now at nine months old she sits up and plays for a little bit and then falls asleep on her stomach. Absolutely perfect, sleeps through the night and everything.

And my mom put me on my stomach from birth. I was in the last group of kids who slept on their bellies, right before the Back to Sleep campaign started in the 90's. My mom (and her mom, and so on) was told that babies drown on spitup if they're laid on their backs. So we were stomach sleepers. Funny, huh?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Lol...she decided that! She would not sleep any other way once she started rolling over (at about one week to.)
    loupsgarou333

Answer by loupsgarou333 at 9:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• my DD is 5 and a half months and she started rolling over on to her tummy while she was sleeping at about 5 months. she can get back on to her back if wants so i dont really mind.
    loves_her_baby

Answer by loves_her_baby at 9:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2009