Anyone have tips and encouragement for finding my 2 babies?

I lost my 2 dogs today. They managed to slip off and run without their collars. I've reported it to our surrounding vets, to the local animal shelters, and left notes and signs all over the neighborhood, along with some other businesses that they might venture off to.
I even posted it on Craigslist.
I'm just terrified because they don't have collars on. The last time they escaped, someone managed to read off of one of the tags and give us a call, but they can't now. I'm almost violently sick to my stomach at the thought that they might be gone forever.
It didn't help when I read on ad on Craigslist, saying that if you have a stray or pesky animal in your neighborhood, to call them and they will EUTHANIZE THEM. Ugh.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Pets

• There is a website called Fido Finder. You can post an ad on there and get e-mail alerts when someone reports a dog that looks like yours.

Best advice is to go door-to-door through the entire neighborhood. Some dog lover likely took them in so they wouldn't get hurt. This happened to my friend's dog and we canvassed the neighborhood and found the dog at a home a few streets away.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:24 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Good luck mama! Were they microchipped by chance?
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• The animal shelter here has a special program, they will microchip your dog or cat at certain times every 2 months or so for a donation of 10 pounds pet food or $10. After you get your babies back check and see if your local shelter has a program like that or similar.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2009