Tips and Encouragement for retrieving my 2 lost dogs?

I lost my 2 dogs today. They managed to slip off and run without their collars. I've reported it to our surrounding vets, to the local animal shelters, and left notes and signs all over the neighborhood, along with some other businesses that they might venture off to.
I even posted it on Craigslist.
I'm just terrified because they don't have collars on. The last time they escaped, someone managed to read off of one of the tags and give us a call, but they can't now. I'm almost violently sick to my stomach at the thought that they might be gone forever.
It didn't help when I read on ad on Craigslist, saying that if you have a stray or pesky animal in your neighborhood, to call them and they will EUTHANIZE THEM. Ugh.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Pets

• No shelter will euthanize dogs the same day they pick them up. Call your local shelters and find out how often the drivers bring pets in (like our city they have 3 drop off times, mid morning, mid afternoon and there last drop is just before closing). You can go to the shelters and ask if you can give a flier to each of the drivers, so if they find them, they can alert the desk who can alert you. Also, post with the police department (or call and see if the captains will alert the patrolmen during briefing). And cab drivers - think about all those people who are out there every day all day long; UPS (they have certain guys for certain routes), FexEx (same as UPS) Postmen for your area and the areas surrounding you,. I hope you find your babies.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• If you have pictures of your dogs, make some flyers and give them to the shelters and vets, also hang them up around the neighborhood. You will see - they will be back home soon!
    Think about getting them chipped... if they ever run off again and brought to a shelter they will give you a call.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 8:49 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• OP - Yes! crazypink, we're definitely getting them chipped, although, if they are found by a shelter here, they'll automatically have to be chipped in order for us to "bail them out" but I'd gladly do ANYTHING to get them back right now. :[
    Anonymous

• Well I saw this really cute cell phone commercial the other day where a little girl lost her dog. She posted signs around town and while she was out posting, someone took a picture of her sign and sent it to their friends who sent it to their friends, etc. When she got home someone was there with her dog!
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 9:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My dog was lost for a couple of days when I put a notice in the paper. The day that it was shown in the paper she was home by eight that night! She was found 10 miles away! The Ladies who found her were SO nice. All the ad said was Missing, female black and tan dog, red collar VERY TIMID. From that ad they knew it was my baby!
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:00 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Aww, I hope you get them back soon. It sounds like you have gotten some great advice.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:48 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Good luck finding your dog , and getting them back.okay. I hope you find them soon.
    Look for them around your area. Tell your neighbors about it. tell them that both your dogs got away. and that you would like it' if they could help you get them back. by bringing them back to you when they see thedogs or tell you where they saw the dogs .for you to go get them. as well as putting up pictures of your dogs on a post. But I would wait 3 or 4 days before I call the dog . shelter.
    Anonymous

• sorry I didn't mean to sign Anon. The one right above is me.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 12:26 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• pets911. i did that and a neighbor found them put them in his backyard. i got a call from him when he found my dogs description on taht site but he called back before we left saying that they had gotten out of his yard as well. my standard poodle can open gates latches so we have to lock them. i put huindreds of flyers out with in 1 mile of house and dogs can hear up to 3 miles if you call for them.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 7, 2009