Can kids be addicted to tv? How much Tv do U let ur kids watch per day??

SylviasMommy

Asked by SylviasMommy at 8:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My sons only 7mo but if he was older i'd allow an hour in the mornings and two hours at night with the family after dinner. I'd say their addicted when you ask them to do something or ask them a question and all they want to do is stare at a t.v.
    HaydensMama42

Answer by HaydensMama42 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I don't think they can be addicted as long as they are interested in other things as well. we always allowed 30 min in the morning and 30 minutes in the afternoon if we were tired in the afternoon. If they want to go to a movie or watch a long movie at home we usually have to save up three days. Which is easy now because with school we don't have time for any TV
    jnthn949

Answer by jnthn949 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• my daughter is 5..shes allowed to watch it in the mornings while she eats her breakfast and while i am making her lunch for school and gettin ready to go (about 20 minutes)..then when she gets home from school (around 3) she usually watches for about 20-30min. then she goes back outside and plays. then she watches hannah montana from 530-6pm...then she gets to watch from about 715-8pm then its bedtime!! usually at night (between 7-8) she doesnt really watch it..me and her play, but the tv is on in the background. i dont think shes addicted (except to hannah montana lol) she would much rather be playin outside, or takin the dogs for walks to the park...and during summer..she never watches tv..except a few minutes before bed to wind her down..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My dd is 4 and loves the tv. She's in a trance when it's on. She gets one (30 min) show in the morning and 2 in the evening while I bathe and get her little brother and sister to bed. It's actually a great motivation for her to behave, because when she acts up she loses a show. She HATES losing a show.
    laura_lu5

Answer by laura_lu5 at 9:07 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My SS is addicted because BM used it as her babysitter, rather than dealing with him herself. If it's on somewhere, no matter WHAT the show is he'll sit and stare at it in a daze. I hate going to restaurants that have TVs because if it's on and in view he'll focus on that more than his food. He hates that we only allow minimal TV time here and God forbid he has to use his imagination to play.
    Anonymous

• I hate to say it but my son is addicted to the tv. We ( my hubby and I) have recently implemented the earn your time strategy. Even though he is only 5, we give him designated daily chores. If he does not do his chores he loses some tv. He is not allowed to watch anything that is rated higher than G unless we have prescreened the program. This has definitely started to change his routine. Now we are also having game time in another room so the tv isn't as distracting.
    ittytbittyme

Answer by ittytbittyme at 11:00 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My oldest would rather watch TV then do anything else. It's very annoying. I try and distract her with other interests but she would rather just zone out. She's 9.
    They are allowed to watch as much as they want if they can get control of the TV. When my husband is home he uses the TV all day long so they have no access unless my dad let's them in his room.
    If they are watching in the living room I make them turn it off if they start fighting, but otherwise I let them be.
    My younger 3 do other stuff, too. Sometimes they watch 30 minutes and then I find the TV on with no one in the room and they are playing somewhere else. In the summer they don't watch much at all and prefer to be outside playing with their friends.
    I don't mind. I love watching TV, too. And in the winter there is little else to do.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:03 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• none i told him tv rots your brain and books make it healthy and strong so it's rare that we even turn it on
    lindnrenn

Answer by lindnrenn at 9:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2009