Does anyone know what the laws are on collectors calling and harassing?

I stopped the autmatic payment on my timeshare. I didn't pay it this month. It was due on the 1st. I already got a call from them asking for a payment. I told them that I can't afford it and asked if they would work with me at all. We have never been late. They said that there is nothing they can do and that they're not going to stop calling. Is there anything I can do? I've looked into selling it, but we're upside down on it. We don't have any other options right now. They don't want to work with me.
Any advice???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• Ask to talk to a supervisor. There has got to be something that they can do to help you. GOOD LUCK!!!
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 8:50 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• The squeaky wheel gets the grease...keep calling and make sure you ask to talk to a supervisor. There has to be something that they can do or some arrangement they can make, you are certainly not the only one in this predicament and with the economy the way it is they NEED to work with people, or their business will go under. They are trying to use the "scare tactic" to see if you are bluffing and will continue to pay.
    Anonymous

• They cannot harass you. You can legally tell them to stop calling and if they don't, send a cease and desist letter. If they don't stop, call an attorney. They may have a right to collect their money, but you have a right not to be harassed. Next time they call, ask to talk to a supervisor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Wouldn't you be calling someone if they owed you a ton of money and decided to just not pay you? Find a way to pay your debts. Sell it and take the hit on the upside down part. Not paying is STEALING.
    Anonymous

• There are not limits to the number of times they can call you. They can only speak with you once in a 24 hour period. You need to try to sell the unit.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• You need to call somebody who knows this stuff and find out what your rights are in your location. You never should have waited for them to call you. That was extremely unprofessional. You need to go to them with a plan, not ask will they please help you out. Their choices are they get the property (time slot) back and no more money or they get less money than they thought. Which one would you choose? I bet they would be happy with half the payment. but can you afford to even get there and use your time.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• OP here. I did call them last month when my payments were on time. They said they will not work with me until I'm behind on my payments. So I didn't make the payment that was due on the 1st. So I was planning on calling them this past Monday, but they called me first. I told them my situation and they're saying there is nothing they can do for me. I've looked into selling it, renting it etc. We can't, we owe 3 TIMES more than it's worth. Renting out my credits for this year and next year would only pay for 1 of month of fees. I'm not trying to steal anything. My DH used to make twice of what he is making now. Things have changed dramatically over the past year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I still don't see where you have contacted a lawyer who specializes in time share law? I don't see where you have a plan. I'm assuming that you are going to have to walk away from it. and it will probably ruin your credit. You may have to declare bankruptcy. But bottom line is that you need to look someplace other than Cafemom for answers.  Not paying is not stealing if you have something to give back.

I can tell you that there are laws about collectors calling, but they vary by state, and you provided NO information. Hopefully you have googled it yourself by now.  Good luck and BTW I have no sympathy for time share companies.  We looked into one once and decided it was unethical (a rip off) because when all was said and done after 20 or 30 years of payments they were planning to tear the building down anyway!

Anonymous