Harassing phone calls regarding timeshare....

I stopped the autmatic payment on my timeshare. I didn't pay it this month. It was due on the 1st. I already got a call from them asking for a payment. I told them that I can't afford it and asked if they would work with me at all. We have never been late. They said that there is nothing they can do and that they're not going to stop calling. Is there anything I can do? I've looked into selling it, but we're upside down on it. We don't have any other options right now. They don't want to work with me.
Any advice???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Oct. 6, 2009 in Travel

• Rent it out to get the mortgage payment. do not really know much about timeshare though.

Answer by louise2 at 8:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Rent it out or sell it. I don't know much about timeshares, but that is two ways to go.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 8:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Your third choice there is to not pay and take the consequences...I dunno what those are but I can only assume that it would not look good on your credit. As long as you owe money that can and will call though. Not much to do about that. after all you can't call them trying to collect what you owe harassing... They aren't trying to sell you anything.
    Anonymous

• You can let them foreclose on you, but that's what it will be on your credit report....a foreclosure. It is an actual mortgage. I would have looked into renting out some weeks, but now that you are behind on payments, they are not going to let you book anything. When we got our first timeshare, we took out a home equity loan to pay off the mortgage. Not only was the interest rate WAY less, the payments were much smaller too. We paid that puppy off early though to avoid paying anymore interest than we had to. I really don't have any other options for you in this regard. If you can't afford it you can't afford it. Do yourselves a favor from this point forward. Never Never Never go to another timeshare presentation again, no matter how many free weekends in Orlando they offer you, don't go because you will be suckered into buying something that you can't afford. There's always resale in the future when you have cash.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Find out how to cancel a timeshare. That is the real solution and is the most effective and secure. When properly cancelling a timeshare, there is no further strings attached to the resort. It is important (however), to cancel your contract properly and through the right people. There are lots of companies that just want to make an easy buck and will even guarantee to recover all monies paid... if you pay them an upfront fee. This is an extension to the original scam. when the scam starts all over again.
    Never pay upfront to sell, rent, donate or cancel a timeshare contract. Do your homework and investigate the company you will choose to assist you with the cancellation of your timeshare contract. This is a good article on how to do so:

http://www.timesharescam.com/blog/158-how-to-cancel-a-timeshare/
    SophieM51

Answer by SophieM51 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2013